2005 With High idle issues

Do you have tuneboy or tuneecu ? On my 05' when I do the stepper reset, I have to set my voltage a little higher for some reason. It's at .66 volts now. That took care of the problem on mine. It could be because I'm running a tune that was developed on another bike. A bit of experimentation with the voltage may solve your problem.

Do you have tuneboy or tuneecu ? On my 05' when I do the stepper reset, I have to set my voltage a little higher for some reason. It's at .66 volts now. That took care of the problem on mine. It could be because I'm running a tune that was developed on another bike. A bit of experimentation with the voltage may solve your problem.
Good point setting it higher will cause the stepper motor to try to reduce it. Fred do you still look for the .12 volt rise during the ISCV reset or are you adjusting the stepper motor to .72? And how does the act on cold days. I know your starting to experience them and surely will this week :(

I do not believe Al is set up with any of the tuning software and is just relying on the Triumph technicians. I would recomment it since one of them is darn near free except for the cable which is still cheap. On a side note if you do remove the stepper motor you wll not be able to performe a ISCV reset. If you try the stepper motor will go crazy under the tank since it cannot find it location.

Last edited:
I had the same problem way back in 2006. There was a idle recall on the 2005's. I took mine into the dealer it came down to the stepper motor and the throttle position sensor. Triumph had released some new TPS's at the time and i haven't had any problems since. One problem i always have is finding someone knowlegable enough to work on the Rocket. There are a lot of hacks out there that don't have a clue, this forum will help keep them honest..good luck

Last edited:
I had the same problem way back in 2006. There was a idle recall on the 2005's. I took mine into the dealer it came down to the stepper motor and the throttle position sensor. Triumph had released some new TPS's at the time and i haven't had any problems since. One problem i always have is finding someone knowlegable to enough to work on the Rocket. There are a lot of hacks out there that don't have a clue, this forum will help keep them honest..good luck
Hey Trick
Thanks for the response but Triumph did a goodwill replacement of the steppermotor and both TPS primary and secondary. However there techs have set them to factory specs and have not played with the voltage at all to see if that might cure the problem. I have tried and tried again to get them to keep working at it but now they say the bike is to old and no more warranty. I dont think they have a clue whats wrong. I have been at this since April of 2013. I tried of it. Ive spent 800.00 out of my pocket and replaced primary TPS and steppermotor once before Triumph did it. I have no tuneecu or tune boy. But I may need to try to get one and get something done here. Al

Good point setting it higher will cause the stepper motor to try to reduce it. Fred do you still look for the .12 volt rise during the ISCV reset or are you adjusting the stepper motor to .72? And how does the act on cold days. I know your starting to experience them and surely will this week :(

I do not believe Al is set up with any of the tuning software and is just relying on the Triumph technicians. I would recomment it since one of them is darn near free except for the cable which is still cheap. On a side note if you do remove the stepper motor you wll not be able to performe a ISCV reset. If you try the stepper motor will go crazy under the tank since it cannot find it location.

Hi ya Scott ! I believe I'm currently at .66 . Then I set the high number to .78 for starters. After that I adjust the stepper until it acts like I want. I still get my fast idle when cold and when blipping the throttle it comes right back to idle speed without that annoying lag. I usually end up re-setting my adaptives a couple times a riding season when it starts acting up again. Works great when it works but not a real stable system. I think a fixed throttle plate position and variable air valve like they use on cars would work better.

Hi ya Scott ! I believe I'm currently at .66 . Then I set the high number to .78 for starters. After that I adjust the stepper until it acts like I want. I still get my fast idle when cold and when blipping the throttle it comes right back to idle speed without that annoying lag. I usually end up re-setting my adaptives a couple times a riding season when it starts acting up again. Works great when it works but not a real stable system. I think a fixed throttle plate position and variable air valve like they use on cars would work better.
Fred
I'm trying to mutter thru this tuneecu download program. I think I have some of it figured out and now I'm up to the cable part. Do you have a link to a good source for a cable with a micro adapter that comes with the cable for the usb port by any chance? Also I read your post here it seems like your constantly adjusting yours as the high idle issue seems to return. Wouldn't it just be easier to ignore the stepper all together and throw it under the tank as others have done? Thanks Al

In my opinion removing the Stepper motor is not the answer . I am not against it as there is only a few things I think it would stop and one thing I can think should be done prior to pulling it. Since the TPS position is set at .60 volts when the throttle plates are close and against the stop you should make sure that is right before you remove it. because after you adjust the setscrew your TPS voltage will climb. If its right prior and you record the new TPS position you should fair out alright if you ever need to change the TPS sensor again. If you do not and have a TPS sensor fail you will be setting the new one to .60 volts with the throttle plates opened up more. Eventually your throttle plate will be open and letting so much air in the ecu will have a hard time adapting the amount of fuel added to keep the A/F ration in specs. and of course your throttle will be sensed at .6 when the opening is more like 2 to 5 percent. Of course this will multiple every time you install a new TPS. Other then that you will never be able to do a ISCV rest. (which is pointless since your not using the stepper motor anyway)
I ran with mine off for quite a while as the older TTS kit instructed you to do so. I eventually found my way back to it which functions just fine to me. So I am not saying its wrong many things can be cobbled on a vehicle but when doing so what else is being hidden that could really be wrong and how long and what damage will it cause is the real question?

Back