16ºF and No Can Start, Gotta Ride to Work, Battery Recommendations?

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Looking back quickly over past threads, there seemed to be a consensus on the Odyssey PC625 battery, but those posts were 2008-2009 era. Is that still the best choice to start the beast?

I leave the bike plugged into a battery tender, but she sleeps in a utility shed, so she's pretty cold to start on winter mornings.

So, is the Odyssey still the best option? Still PC625? I also read that you should get their charger, yes?

I need to figure something out quick. Unless there's ice on the road, I take the bike to work, as I can't always borrow my wife's car.

M/C batteries are FAR more susceptible to extremes of heat and cold than cars. The problems with AGM type batteries like the PC625 is that in order to get all that power in - they reduce the amount of liquid in and they will freeze faster than an old fashioned wet battery. And once you start to get cold - honestly the CCA potential offered drops DRAMATICALLY. - at a guess at 16°F you have 20-30% less CCAs

My idea may seem a bit out there - Any way to add a bit of heat in the shed? - On a timer say an hour before you'll set off?

No its a POS,
Seriously dude your down south and there not prepared for this weather with cages. Forget motorcycles!!! Its much better to not go anyware then to end up in the hospital !!!! Oh ya and muck up your ride.

Looking back quickly over past threads, there seemed to be a consensus on the Odyssey PC625 battery, but those posts were 2008-2009 era. Is that still the best choice to start the beast?

I leave the bike plugged into a battery tender, but she sleeps in a utility shed, so she's pretty cold to start on winter mornings.

So, is the Odyssey still the best option? Still PC625? I also read that you should get their charger, yes?

I need to figure something out quick. Unless there's ice on the road, I take the bike to work, as I can't always borrow my wife's car.

Jump start it with your wife’s car?!

Jump start it with your wife’s car?!
Jumping it, if it's icing up will blow it up faster.

Another option could be - fit ANDERSON type quick connect/disconnect setup in the main cables and whip the battery inside at night.

Yet another option - carry a small LiFePO4 booster pack inside your jacket - It will then stay warm and you can quick attach AM.

My dad used to have a small greenhouse anti-frost heater in his small shed. If you have decent insulation on the shed - they work quite well.

No its a POS,
Seriously dude your down south and there not prepared for this weather with cages. Forget motorcycles!!! Its much better to not go anyware then to end up in the hospital !!!! Oh ya and muck up your ride.

I hear ya, but I only ride when it's cold and dry- no snow or ice. So theoretically (?) the cagers aren't any more dangerous in those conditions, except for the hot coffee between their legs, in addition to the usual cell phone and donut :-(.

Jumping it, if it's icing up will blow it up faster.

Ohhhhhhh.. that's good information right there.

Yet another option - carry a small LiFePO4 booster pack inside your jacket - It will then stay warm and you can quick attach AM.

I have this, which I think is similar, but since it's a jump starter I didn't know if it was a bad idea. I actually pulled it out and then thought twice about using it. I've heard not to use jump starters or car batteries while the car is running.
Lithium Ion Jump Starter and Power Pack

My dad used to have a small greenhouse anti-frost heater in his small shed. If you have decent insulation on the shed - they work quite well.

No insulation and I'm afraid to leave a heater unattended. I have gas and other flammables in there.

Another option could be - fit ANDERSON type quick connect/disconnect setup in the main cables and whip the battery inside at night.

That's an idea I hadn't considered. That might be my solution. Thanks @barbagris

@Triple Trouble - I guess we're so far south (not that many days get this low) that I'd not heard of a battery warmer- thought you might be kidding me, at first. But, that might be another way to go too. Thanks

So, I have some good ideas for keeping a good battery going. I'll know when I get home and try to crank her if my battery is bad. It's above freezing now and it's been on the tender all day.

IF I do need a replacement, or for future knowledge, what do you guys recommend? Sounds like the Odyssey is no longer in favor.

Back