16ºF and No Can Start, Gotta Ride to Work, Battery Recommendations?

Looking back quickly over past threads, there seemed to be a consensus on the Odyssey PC625 battery, but those posts were 2008-2009 era. Is that still the best choice to start the beast?

I leave the bike plugged into a battery tender, but she sleeps in a utility shed, so she's pretty cold to start on winter mornings.

So, is the Odyssey still the best option? Still PC625? I also read that you should get their charger, yes?

I need to figure something out quick. Unless there's ice on the road, I take the bike to work, as I can't always borrow my wife's car.

We are on Page 5 of this thread and I just can't believe nobody is saying anything good about Odyssey batteries. I will stand up and say they are GREAT. They are the best I have found. My 2016 R3R is on its original battery and I will replace it with the biggest Odyssey that will fit, when the time comes. The surgery needed to fit a larger size is a deterrent because if the air horn and Eastern Beaver distribution panel under the left side panel.
I have used the Odyssey PC680 on a 1996 BMW R1100RS, and currently have a PC925 in my 1979 Laverda. The PC925 is 12 years old and still going strong. They lose very little charge in storage, and a couple of hours each month on a Battery Tender is all they need. They need NO special battery charger since they are lead/acid, no fancy chemistry here.

My riding buddy uses Odyssey in all his bikes, and has several Odysseys that are more than 10 years old. Neither of us have ever had an Odyssey battery fail, or even fade away due to old age. They are a little pricey, but I will continue to buy them. That's my experience, yours might be different.

Last edited:
odyssey pc545 agm
installed 12-13-2017
also doubled up on ground strap and have the bigger starter really cranks even after sitting for a month. hopefully it will last a long time.

We are on Page 5 of this thread and I just can't believe nobody is saying anything good about Odyssey batteries. I will stand up and say they are GREAT. They are the best I have found. My 2016 R3R is on its original battery but I will replace it with an Odyssey PC625 when the time comes. The surgery needed to fit a larger size is a deterrent. I have used the PC680 on a 1996 BMW R1100RS, and currently have a PC925 in my 1979 Laverda. The PC925 is 12 years old and still going strong. They lose very little charge in storage, and a couple of hours each month on a Battery Tender is all they need. They need NO special battery charger since they are lead/acid, no fancy chemistry here.

My riding buddy uses Odyssey in all his bikes, and has several Odysseys that are more than 10 years old. He and I have never had an Odyssey battery fail, or even fade away due to old age. They are a little pricey, but I will continue to buy them. That's my experience, YMMV.

I actually started the thread asking about Odyssey batteries. Some people responded unfavorably, but you and others give it a thumbs up. Thankfully, my battery is still going strong after all, so I hope I can put off the battery decision for a while longer.

Back