12 minute tune-up??????

Stupid related question - after doing a reset adaptation in TuneECU I never got the green TPS light to come back on.

So, being that sort of person I took it off, gave it a wiggle and a poke and put it back on. Now I get a Check Engine light and the code for problems in the TPS. Can't remember exactly which. Bike still seems to ride ok.

It's already got a good tune in it from TuneECU, and I've done a long idle to let it reset.

Is there a specific procedure to reconnecting the TPS? I mean, I just screwed it back on, but do I need to be more careful about how the tabs slot together, or something similar?

And, to answer the original question - the tune you load into the ECU tables (or Triumph does), are the rough values to get the bike in a good place for the given setup, ie. the pipes, filters, etc which you're running. If you change a component, you need to change the tables. The 12-minute tune then allows the bike to fine-tune itself to learn how to behave with the new component. You'll always need both when you change something physically like the pipes, headers, filters, etc.

And no, no instructions anywhere. Took me a long time to find them originally, and I don't think they were called out as the 12-min tune, just a bullet point in a how-to saying "restart the bike, let it idle for 12 mins, done".
You have to wait for the fan to come on before waiting 12 min.

The triples are relatively easy to install. Removing all the OEM air ducting is the most time consuming part. When you remove it you will be very happy when you realise that you will never have to put it back on. Attaching the filter to the crankcase breathing tube is probably the most fiddly part.

For the best tune, contact @HansO and I'm sure he will set you up well if you ask him nicely. One of the really nice things about the RIII is that you can set it up for good economy when cruising, and progressively more power as you twist your right hand. Therefore you can get the best economy and the best power from the same tune.

Thanks. I'm not very good with tools but I muddle by. Everyone here is so helpful!
Looking forward to getting the keyless ignition as well so I guess Ill learn!

sounds like the ramair is easier overall. Are these only sold in England?

Once you're in a position to change out the filters (BearClaw off, tank up, etc), either bolting on the three K&Ns, or the RamAir will be negligible difference in effort.

Once you're in a position to change out the filters (BearClaw off, tank up, etc), either bolting on the three K&Ns, or the RamAir will be negligible difference in effort.

The ramsair has had some issues. If it cracks you have to replace it. The K&N 2780's are simple.

@alexwasserman there is a set standard for the tps. If you look in IDK's signature line on his posts you'll see a link to the manual. Described inside ;)

Genius, thank you. I'd also seen his throttle body balancing guide a while back, then forgot where. Last time I had the tank up I searched the Internet high and low for it and got nothing. That's a collection of links worth bookmarking.

Looks like I have some work this weekend.

Thanks

I just purchased some TORS. Will this 12 minute tune work or do I need to go to Triumph for the tune download?
I replaced the Air Filters yesterday.The first picture shows the K&N filters. 3 RU-2780 Air filters $32.99 ea, 62-1340 5/8' breather filter $22.99, 62-1360 3/4" breather filter $22.99, and a 99-5000 oil/cleaner kit $11.99 all purchased at Auto Zone for a total of $156.94 My advice is to buy two of the 62-1340 5/8" it fits the Air Temp sensor much better than the 3/4" filter. The other shows the secondaries removed. I have not tuned the bike yet. I have had issues with either my computer or a bad cable. But I will say this, what an unbelievable difference this has made to the bike. I am going to put the secondaries back on today to see what the difference in performance is with just the air filters. I am thinking that a K&N under seat filter and removing the secondaries may be the only thing that really needs to be done. But I am not kidding when I say this a completely different bike now. I cant wait to get the correct tune in the bike. My concern is I may be running too lean with the new air filters. I posted a bunch of pictures and description on the Triumph Rocket III Owners Group FB page, it was a little faster and easier to upload pictures. Overall this is an easy upgrade. on a scale of 1-10 of tech skills I put it at around a 4. The computer crap is what screws me up. So after writing this I see some guys have made a hole in the top of either the #1 or #2 filter, added some length to the Air Temp sensor and put it into the top of the filter.
I did not add the temp sensor to the top of an air cleaner. I wish I had. Save yourself $45-$50.00 and do this mod as well as either leaving the under seat air filter in place or glue or tape some air filter foam over the breather tube hole in the bottom of the lower air box. i don't suggest that you leave the breather hole unfiltered.
View media item 10405
View media item 10402View media item 10403
I just purchased some TORS. Will this 12 minute tune work or do I need to go to Triumph for the tune download?

Back