12 minute tune-up??????

12 minute tune lets the bike check and adapt while at idle. You start the bike up without moving the throttle let her idle until the fans comes on. Then let her idle for 12 minutes.

The 12 minute tune up is when you start your Triumph , do not touch the throttle and let it idle for appox . 12 minutes. It allows the ECU to learn any changes. If you have TuneECU , IMHO it is much better to do a reset adaption procedure .

The 12 minute tune up is when you start your Triumph , do not touch the throttle and let it idle for appox . 12 minutes. It allows the ECU to learn any changes. If you have TuneECU , IMHO it is much better to do a reset adaption procedure .
They are slightly different. The "reset adaptives" will get rid of all the adaptations your ECU has made for local conditions and return it to factory. In most conditions this will be fine. However, if you live up a high mountain then it will not be optimum. The "12 minute tune" will allow the ECU to adapt to the conditions where the bike is now. It will allow the bike to do this safely, as the bike is sitting on its kickstand and not being ridden - where a possible stall could occur as the engine is adapting as you ride. However, the bike will adapt as you ride it anyway.

They are slightly different. The "reset adaptives" will get rid of all the adaptations your ECU has made for local conditions and return it to factory. In most conditions this will be fine. However, if you live up a high mountain then it will not be optimum. The "12 minute tune" will allow the ECU to adapt to the conditions where the bike is now. It will allow the bike to do this safely, as the bike is sitting on its kickstand and not being ridden - where a possible stall could occur as the engine is adapting as you ride. However, the bike will adapt as you ride it anyway.
I just purchased some TORS. Will this 12 minute tune work or do I need to go to Triumph for the tune download?

If you replace the battery or remove the cables to install the charging pig-tail adapters, do you have to do the 12 min tuneup? Does the ECU lose it's info or is it flash/ cmos retained in the ECU?

Sam:)

If you replace the battery or remove the cables to install the charging pig-tail adapters, do you have to do the 12 min tuneup? Does the ECU lose it's info or is it flash/ cmos retained in the ECU?

Sam:)
No Sam your fine just ride and enjoy!!!!

I just purchased some TORS. Will this 12 minute tune work or do I need to go to Triumph for the tune download?
The 12 minute will not be enough. The Triumph dealer will install the Triumph OEM "Off Road Pipes" tune, and probably charge you about $30, or you can install a MUCH better tune with TuneECU for the cost of a $20 cable. I would also recommend installing either the triple filters (obtainable from Flipmeister ) or a RamairAir filter. This will make your bike breathe a lot better (and have a lot of other practical benefits as well) and with the right tune will give LOTS more power.

Stupid related question - after doing a reset adaptation in TuneECU I never got the green TPS light to come back on.

So, being that sort of person I took it off, gave it a wiggle and a poke and put it back on. Now I get a Check Engine light and the code for problems in the TPS. Can't remember exactly which. Bike still seems to ride ok.

It's already got a good tune in it from TuneECU, and I've done a long idle to let it reset.

Is there a specific procedure to reconnecting the TPS? I mean, I just screwed it back on, but do I need to be more careful about how the tabs slot together, or something similar?

And, to answer the original question - the tune you load into the ECU tables (or Triumph does), are the rough values to get the bike in a good place for the given setup, ie. the pipes, filters, etc which you're running. If you change a component, you need to change the tables. The 12-minute tune then allows the bike to fine-tune itself to learn how to behave with the new component. You'll always need both when you change something physically like the pipes, headers, filters, etc.

And no, no instructions anywhere. Took me a long time to find them originally, and I don't think they were called out as the 12-min tune, just a bullet point in a how-to saying "restart the bike, let it idle for 12 mins, done".

The 12 minute will not be enough. The Triumph dealer will install the Triumph OEM "Off Road Pipes" tune, and probably charge you about $30, or you can install a MUCH better tune with TuneECU for the cost of a $20 cable. I would also recommend installing either the triple filters (obtainable from Flipmeister ) or a RamairAir filter. This will make your bike breathe a lot better (and have a lot of other practical benefits as well) and with the right tune will give LOTS more power.
sounds good! How hard are the triples to install? And what is a good tune that still gets decent gas mileage?

Back