100 Octane Should I use it?

What are the thoughts on the leaded gas. 90 octane and old style is used on small engines. I seem to see it in the upper peninsula too. I've ran the Rocket on it up north, but not consistently.

You don't want to used leaded gas on anything that wasn't built to use it. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and I've seen what it does to egines. Leadoxides build up on everything and over time clog the exhaust. They are designed to run the stuff. Has to do with the Valve seats and detonation. One of four cylinders is about 90ci or 1400cc. Plus they run 80% power most of the time. And more to the point $$$. Plus the rockets were designed for low octane.

Hi all,
We are able to buy 100 octane fuel in the south island of New Zealand.

My question is should I run the beast on this stuff.

Will it hurt the motor. Will I need to get a tune done on a dyno?
Screenshot_20190218_002122.png

Ok having read this I’m confused.
By country it seems the pilots in the Southern Hemesphere are running 98 or thereabouts is the consensus
In the US I have not been able to grasp a consensus. I use regular 87 (actually tests show its 88 - 90 actually according to indipendant tests by brand) I use regular because the dealer and Triumph hand book tells me too. Seems ok?
If I can find non ethanol in US that’s preferable it seems... but at What octane?

Obviously leaded ( not available anyway) is a no no.

Last edited:
By country it seems the pilots in the Southern Hemesphere are running 98 or thereabouts is the consensus
In the US I have not been able to grasp a consensus. I use regular 87 (actually tests show its 88 - 90 actually according to indipendant tests by brand) I use regular because the dealer and Triumph hand book tells me too. Seems ok?
If I can find non ethanol in US that’s preferable it seems... but at What octane?

You want to stay with unleaded 87 octane. You can use higher octane but you are just wasting your money as the stock engine only needs 87. More important than different octanes for a stock engine is detergents added to the fuel. Stay away from no-name or cheap fuel stations. Always try to use a top tier fuel. The best of the top tier for highest detergents added here in the States is: 1. Exxon, 2. Amoco, 3. Shell (regular grade). And 1. Shell, 2. Amoco, 3. Exxon (high test fuel).

I run 91 RON in my Rocket. It doesn't ping and it runs fine, which of course, it bloody well should given that's what the manufacturer says to put in it. Mind you, the engine is bog stock apart from exhaust and ramair. If I was running higher comp pistons, cams and all that good stuff, it'd be a whole different thing.

I have always thought non-ethanol IS leaded gas. When the Refineries started the ethanol additive, the leaded gas stopped.

My understanding is that Ethanol is alcohol made from corn. They add 10% to the regular stuff around here. And it can cause more condensation in the tank.

You want to stay with unleaded 87 octane. You can use higher octane but you are just wasting your money as the stock engine only needs 87. More important than different octanes for a stock engine is detergents added to the fuel. Stay away from no-name or cheap fuel stations. Always try to use a top tier fuel. The best of the top tier for highest detergents added here in the States is: 1. Exxon, 2. Amoco, 3. Shell (regular grade). And 1. Shell, 2. Amoco, 3. Exxon (high test fuel).

Thanks for that!!! Just happens that my local station which I get the CLEAN (no ethanol added) gas is supplied by Exxon. I'm tickled pink.:)

It is only 89 in American numbers , IF one reads the sheet. Yes the R3 is a low compression engine, it is also a high cranking pressure engine. A new R6 yamaha has roughly 13:1 comp stock, the R3 has 8.7: 1 . Both have the same cylinder pressure on cranking tests. You will not hurt the engine, Put it in and go for a ride, see how it feels.
With a compression ratio of 11.2:1, double overhead cams (DOHC) and 4-valve cylinder heads, the R3 motor is designed for quick-revving performance and high-rpm efficiency.

With a compression ratio of 11.2:1, double overhead cams (DOHC) and 4-valve cylinder heads, the R3 motor is designed for quick-revving performance and high-rpm efficiency.
Being an old thread, these posts have been about the old Rocket engine. You seem to be talking about the new one... a very different proposition.

Back