Removing plenum

When I was changing to the triple K&N over the weekend, I figured out a pretty easy way to go about removing all of that plasitc. Once removed you have to be a little creative putting everything back together that's staying.

I removed the bearclaw and lifted the tank.

I'm referencing parts from this diagram.

From the outside (bearclaw side) I loosened the retaining rings on the top of the throttle bodies. You need a really smaller hex key. Part #3

From there, I'm to the header side of the bike and loosended the retaining rings that hold the plenum to the piece that sits on the throttle bodies(Part #6).
In addition there is a retaining bolt on the header side of the airduct that has to be removed Part #10) and a retaining ring on the snorkel coming up from the airboz under the tank (part #9).

At this point you can lift the airducting(Part #4) and separate it from the snorkel and from the plenum (part#1). The sendor at the bend of part #4 just pulls out.

At this point, you can remove part#1 easily.

The creative part comes trying find a new home for the sensor as well as the hoses that were attached to the backside of part #4.

Biggest Hassle:
Getting to the retaining rings (Part#6) a pair of long-nosed pliers probably would have worked better than messing with trying to force a hex key in there.

Ratboy

That was very nice of you to post the steps for removing all that crap for Paul.That would have taken me two days to type..HaHa I think he just wants to pull out the secondary plates so he should not even have to move the temp sensor and map sensor. Go for it Paul, it just looks complicated... Jack

Paul,

I cannot begin to emphasize how "not" mechanical I am.

I sit in front a computer all day worrying about how much of a mess the accountants are making.

It ain't hard.

Paul, Thanks for the invite. I just don't have the time or money to do something that extreme. I'm always up for a weekend ride though. :bch:

Thanks for the education guys and detailed explaination. However, Sidecar Flip reeeaaaly fast bikes and cars do not scare me, they give me an adrenaline rush :eek::D

I'm profoundly glad of that. Fast women used to give me a rush, but anymore I just sit back and doze off.:cool: :cool:

No answer on the yellow leathers, I'm still persuing it. Those are snowmobile guys. Warm weather and they hibernate.

I can't make today or tomorrow because work is being brutal to me.

Plus my freakin' bike will be at the tuner until late next week.

Have fun though and drink one for the online Rocket captains. :bch:

Back