Wisdom of the list: how to relocate sticky mount ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
I have Oxford Heatrz Cruiser Premium Grips which is characterized by the faux chrome controller switch.

The shop that put it on for me, the mechanic I'm sure said, "Hmmm, there's nothing else on the bike, let me put the controller right in the middle."

The controller, the least concern for visual angle of almost any controls, is now taking up valuable real estate on the handlebar, where I would like to install the Koso tachometer and GIPro DS-series gear indicator and Harley D thermometer and who knows ?

All these items need prime viewing space, and that heater controller is in the way.

Alas, the controller is mounted using a supplied double-sided adhesive pad.

How to move it ? If I destroy the pad, where to get another one ? Or a better way to mount the controller entirely ?

Thank you.

Joe something like goof-off should work.Also if your careful with a heat gun that should work.

Use fishing line under the pad like dental floss. Also get some adhesive )3M 8984 or SEM Solve 38371) remover or use some acetone carefully this will soften the adhesive and the pad will come off easily. The adhesive remove will take off all the glue/adhesive without leaving any residue behind.

How 'bout the relocate part -- to put it back down where I want it ?
If you mean the adhesive pad? You can buy 3M double sided tape at most auto parts stores as well as the adhesive remover. The adhesive remover is a good thing to have in the shop for many uses. Only buy the 3M tape though, it is seriously the best adhesive available. We use it for all kinds of jobs moldings, emblems, even scoops on vehicles that see high speed. I have tried other products with nothing but failures.

Possibly Gorilla double-sided also. Just make sure whatever tape you get it's water resistant. There are double sided tapes for indoor and outdoor use.

3M VHB is the name of the product you want. Nothing else bonds like it...nothing.

We used to mount spoilers with it on cars clearing 160mph with no issues, and air diffusers under 500+ HP Evos and STI drag cars, never had one come off. Just make sure the surface is super clean with alcohol before mounting and apply some pressure for about 30 seconds, it will never come off unless you want it to.

Back