Google maps on cell phone > all dedicated GPS units. Free life-time updates, traffic monitoring, connected to yelp reviews, and so much more.

What I can google, nearby Italian food, read the yelp reviews, click on the map, and hit get directions on a dedicated GPS, maybe i'll consider using one.

And then suddenly you ride out into the sticks, lose all 3G coverage and your Google Maps with no integrated maps on the device goes away. Google Maps is great for when you're stationary and looking for stuff, but it can't beat a proper GPS app with good turn-by-turn instructions and maps that will work even in the deepest darkest wilderness.

Hopefully someone taking a tour trip would know enough to install the maps locally on their phone, an option on many phones if your carrier has not neutered the Android OS.

For those who don't know: Zoom to cover your desired area, then in search bar type "OK Maps" without quotes. It will cache everything visible for your use later. It also caches a few zoom levels down for you so you get a lot of detail.

Google maps on a Android device IS a proper turn by turn GPS app that does not need towers and uses built in GPS receivers in the phone. The towers are only used to refine your position faster, so even without them it is equal to a GPS only unit, with the towers its more accurate than any standalone GPS, including military devices.

Good phones like the Nexus 4 or 5, the new Samsung phones, or as much as I hate to say it iphone 5 or newer, can do nearly everything a arsenal of mobile products + a laptop of a few years ago could do, and they do it better with longer battery life. The only draw back I have found is the inability to use certain phone touch screens with gloves on.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone taking a tour trip would know enough to install the maps locally on their phone, an option on many phones if your carrier has not neutered the Android OS.

For those who don't know: Zoom to cover your desired area, then in search bar type "OK Maps" without quotes. It will cache everything visible for your use later. It also caches a few zoom levels down for you so you get a lot of detail.

Google maps on a Android device IS a proper turn by turn GPS app that does not need towers and uses built in GPS receivers in the phone. The towers are only used to refine your position faster, so even without them it is equal to a GPS only unit, with the towers its more accurate than any standalone GPS, including military devices.

Good phones like the Nexus 4 or 5, the new Samsung phones, or as much as I hate to say it iphone 5 or newer, can do nearly everything a arsenal of mobile products + a laptop of a few years ago could do, and they do it better with longer battery life. The only draw back I have found is the inability to use certain phone touch screens with gloves on.
google maps turns to a blank screen if you have no internet signal or phone service, after you drive of the last cached screen you are done...

google maps turns to a blank screen if you have no internet signal or phone service, after you drive of the last cached screen you are done...

Interesting, maybe a different version of software. I can kill my cell/wifi/Bluetooth connections completely and still use it just fine.....

Interesting, maybe a different version of software. I can kill my cell/wifi/Bluetooth connections completely and still use it just fine.....
Yea tried it a few times same results, went to an app that has maps to download. If you search your phone memory how big is the Google maps folders. Gps app with maps app should be at least 2-4 gb.

Well, nothing preventing someone with a phone to have both, a belt-suspenders type approach. The Tomtom (or Garmin) app with integrated maps is always going to be there (and at least for Tomtom, get regularly updated both software and map-wise). That way one doesn't have to remember to pre-load maps to always have a usable GPS app.

Especially for those of us who wind up in a different country when riding a few hours in any direction, being reliant on 3G can be an issue. Roaming charges for data transfers are still insane, even though they're slowly forcing the phone companies to stop robbing their customers. I tend to turn 3G and roaming data off to avoid shocking bills. You read about people winding up with $10000 bills when they've used lots of mobile data abroad. Some woman got stuck with 20000£ for uploading photos to Facebook throughout her vacation...

Last edited:
Back