I just use my phone on a RAM mount. To make it a GPS and waterproof - first, the Lifeproof.com case for it (iPhone) and then the Tomtom GPS app and presto, a great GPS with on-board maps and all in the phone.

Been looking at the Garmon app but it has poor reviews. Never cared for a tomtom GPS unit - how's the app???

I lose cell signal a lot on my motorcycle and must have the maps on board and the phone will drain quickly running a gps app.

@1olbull

Thanks for this info.
Think I shall go get one of these.

I have the Garmin 3490 LMT, it is a couple of years old so it was much cheaper than buying the latest and greatest. I have not noticed any drain on the battery when leaving plugged in for a few days in the garage, but it may. The Garmin tech people wouldn't tell me whether it has a parasitic drain or not, they would just tell me it isn't designed for motorcycle use. I have it mounted with Ram Mount system. It is fairly bright. I can still read it during the day when wearing sunglasses and a tinted shield. All in all, between the mount, the GPS and the EcoROute module, it wasn't exactly cheap, but I feel it has been worth it. I was stuck in a traffic jam the other day and when the temp hit 238 I said enough and rode down the shoulder to get some airflow and to find some shade to park in for a little bit until the traffic cleared up.

bob

Been looking at the Garmon app but it has poor reviews. Never cared for a tomtom GPS unit - how's the app???

I lose cell signal a lot on my motorcycle and must have the maps on board and the phone will drain quickly running a gps app.
I have tried the be - on - road app the last few days, you pick the states or country's you want and it seems to be ok on my android phone. Same thing with signal loss and being online. This way the app and maps are local to the phone.

Thanks for all the input guys, using the phone gps apps is an option but I would rather mount a gps that at least have mp3.

Using the phone is the last thing I want to see on the bike since that is my away time, phone is tied to work software...

If need be I'll use it in a bind...

I enjoy the Tomtom app a lot, it even has a "find me curvy roads" function. Works very well, and it has on-board maps. But yes, definitely drains the battery fast to run both the screen at maximum brightness and the GPS radio and listen to music. I have a 12-volt outlet on the bars and use that to feed power to the phone . And bonus, when you get where you're going the phone is 100% charged.

I think it's quite an effective way to avoid buying a full GPS, the bike-specific GPS devices cost a fortune. But yeah, getting calls is a pest. Then again, it only takes a few seconds to put the phone in airplane mode and silence it before you set off.

A smart phone and the Waze app. I put my phone in a waterproof case, 12V socket and I'm good. The advantage of using Waze is the user reporting feature which will alert of road hazards and the police... Even though you probably wouldn't care about the latter since we Rocket 3 Captains hardly ever speed...

I just finished a 2600 mile road trip with ear buds plugged into my iphone, used the 12v output for power. Pandora on the box, google maps talking my route to me. Can't get any cheaper than that...unless you revert to one of my old favorites, A Road Atlas.

Google maps on cell phone > all dedicated GPS units. Free life-time updates, traffic monitoring, connected to yelp reviews, and so much more.

What I can google, nearby Italian food, read the yelp reviews, click on the map, and hit get directions on a dedicated GPS, maybe i'll consider using one.

Back