I have a Garmin Nuvi 3490 but I seldom use the GPS function. I have the Bluetooth EcoRoute module plugged into my OBD plug and use the display for instruments. The few times I have used the GPS it has worked well.
I have it in a Ram Mount and it can be easily removed when ever I park the bike any where other than my garage.
bob

That is very cool!
How does all this work, Bob?
How is it hooked into the engine for those temps, RPM, battery and throttle position?

It is hooked in using the Garmin EcoRoute Bluetooth adapter. It plugs into the OBD plug and transmits to the GPS unit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sho...rmin-mechanic-with-ecoroute-hd/prod38354.html

I have the sender secured next to the battery and the GPS is hard wired to my battery. This particular unit gets its power from the mount, so the power cord stays plugged in all of the time. The GPS just pops out of the Ram mount.

Those are just the gauges I use, there are others. The funny thing though is the speedo on the gauge option of the ecoroute will read low, yet the speedo and the GPS speed is accurate. I have checked them all against a stationary radar unit parked on the side of the road at different speeds. I was trying to get the high score but only got to 92.

This youtubes covers it pretty well.

bob

And tomorrow is motorcycle day at Aldi. Good for peeps on a budget. Just saying (no need to turn this in to a debate on price vs quality :))

No arguments from me I had one for over 3 years, just wanted one that had faster, more accurate positioning plus the TMS (tyre monitor system) was appealing and has saved a lot of knuckle skin, in the end I had to accidentally on purpose not lock the mount so that it would whoops! fall off it (the Aldi one) was otherwise functioning well enough to not justify replacing it.
Another point that is good about the Aldi GPS that such a low cost if you are not sure you want one then buying the much cheaper Aldi one is less money wasted if you don't like having a GPS (I was not sure I'd like one) and want to go back to having a paper map (no thanks)

I've used Garmin Nuvi's for my motorcycles for the last 7 years. I still have the original Nuvi 750 model I got all those years ago. It's been through rain, wind, dust.. whatever it was never intended to be designed for and it STILL works perfectly till today. I just bought a ball mount and a handle bar adapter and hardwired into a USB plug for power. Works perfectly and very visible in daylight.

I just use my phone on a RAM mount. To make it a GPS and waterproof - first, the Lifeproof.com case for it (iPhone) and then the Tomtom GPS app and presto, a great GPS with on-board maps and all in the phone.

Another interesting GPS application you can try is if you have a smart phone, the application called "WAZE" which is like a GPS navigation app, but its configured to use other drivers statistics on the road at the same time.. so you get real time traffic routing, police notification, red light alerts, construction and obstacles on the road... all notifying you on the screen as you drive, Ive been using this more then my Garmin lately... Its really cool how if there is an accident on your route it will re-route you automatically to get your way home the fastest route possible. Try it out, its free and its really cool. You can actually see a real time map of stats on waze.com on the live map.

Back