Where to start

18rocket

Standard Bore
Ride
18 rocket 3
hi all I have a 18 rocket roadster. I purchased the outlaw 3 into exhaust and was considering just a k&n drop in. I just purchased a power commander v as well as an auto tune. I’m looking for a map to start out with or will the base map be sufficient and let the auto tune do it’s thing? Thanks for any information.

A K&N drop in will do absolutely nothing for performance. There are too many restrictions between the air box and the injectors. Save your money.
Ok thanks for the input. I’m just not ready to do the k&n pods yet figured it may help but I’ll save my money

Go with the RamAir kit when you are ready. It is the best and complete. 3 K&N filters need more and is not the best for the air sensor.

Dyno Tuning is best, but there are several OK tunes for use with TuneECU as a temporary solution. Save your money and return the Power Com products and get a real dyno tune instead.

Where in the USA are you located ?

Go with the RamAir kit when you are ready. It is the best and complete. 3 K&N filters need more and is not the best for the air sensor.

Dyno Tuning is best, but there are several OK tunes for use with TuneECU as a temporary solution. Save your money and return the Power Com products and get a real dyno tune instead.

I’m in New Hampshire. Not much around me that I’m aware of.

No doubt at all that a Dyno tune is always best. I run a PCV and AT because, simply, there is nobody near me at all. A shame as it would be so much simpler.

I have recently been told about a place close-ish but I have no references and (wait for it) they always prefer to tune with PowerCommander.

Personally I have NEVER been comfortable using a tune from another bike EXCEPT as a starting point. None have worked REALLY WELL.

On Standard pipes and intake ducting - for now - just ride and decide which direction you are taking the tune.: MORE POWER or SMOOTHER.
Consider the map/gear and MAP based tuning options if you want SMOOTH.
If you decide to stay on the PCV path. imo you will want to log data - you need to consider the POD bit.

But for now - ride and finish the season.

Or ship your bike to @Claviger and let him build you a loony-Rob R3 with Nels. Just kidding - but one day you never know, he might take you on.

hi all I have a 18 rocket roadster. I purchased the outlaw 3 into exhaust and was considering just a k&n drop in. I just purchased a power commander v as well as an auto tune. I’m looking for a map to start out with or will the base map be sufficient and let the auto tune do it’s thing? Thanks for any information.

I have exactly the same set up...the starting map...and it’s good was recommended to me the folks ar power commander. From there accept trims and it get pretty close!
Pm me and I’ll send it...on IPad and don’t have it to hand.

A K&N drop in will do absolutely nothing for performance. There are too many restrictions between the air box and the injectors. Save your money.

Not sure what “ drop in “ means so you are probably right...but...

I installed the K&N air box delete...MADE A SINGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. Note...also fitting outlaw exhaust prior to this.
So could gauge the changes induced by each step.

Last edited:

Have to say complete opposite...my 3 rd Rocket. I found KN better quality parts and sensor did NOT need extension...reached over to locate right by filters.

Back