What is the grub bolt near the sump plugs

AussieMick

Living the Dream
Ride
2017 R3R
Did the oil change for the first time tonight and undid a grub bolt instead of the rear sump plug. Oil came out but then realised what I did and put it back in. Anyone know what it is for and if it will create an issue

Mick not sure what you mean by grub bolt. Here is a shot the red line and plugs circled are oil routed from the sump screens two plugs they are a pipe NPT threaded plug. That oil stays in them when doing a oil change. It is the screened return oil passages to the scavenger pumps. Yeller it the actual drain plugs. The orange is the bolts that are typically missed when pulling the sump. Hope this helps.

oil plugs.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I pulled out one of the red ones. From your description it doesn't appear I did any damage. Geez I need to get a bike lift so I can see under the girl when doing work. Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciated

Yep, I pulled out one of the red ones. From your description it doesn't appear I did any damage. Geez I need to get a bike lift so I can see under the girl when doing work. Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciated
No problem since they are a NPT I caution not to over tighten them 25 NM and they had thread locker on them. If you decide to add some a medium strength blue will work.

Back