But this is a 05 according to the papers provided 😣
Register in 05 could be built the end of 04 . Anyway not sure what country you are in but the ones in the USA have the build date on the front left frame tube. Anyway you have the original sump pan which got changed. The basically moved the scavenger pump pick up screens so one in front is on the right side and the rear left of the pan.

That third picture looks like the remains of a ball bearing cage for sure. Probably from the torsional damper area as already stated. When you said you repaired almost everything, what was done? If you just performed a torsional damper bearing replacement, then that's the debris left over. Clean the screens out, bolt her back up and retry. Hope none of the fine stuff made it's way to the oil pumps or main bearings.

That third picture looks like the remains of a ball bearing cage for sure. Probably from the torsional damper area as already stated. When you said you repaired almost everything, what was done? If you just performed a torsional damper bearing replacement, then that's the debris left over. Clean the screens out, bolt her back up and retry. Hope none of the fine stuff made it's way to the oil pumps or main bearings.
This bike was unused for a couple of years by the former owner, he considered it to be too big and powerful for him and better bought a small custom made chopper about 500 cc 😕
So she needed a lot of love. So here is the list of everything done:
Tires and brake pads
Rear shocks
Clutch pads and springs
New front lights
New tail directionals
All the electric system checked and half rewired
Cooling system purged and hoses changed
Gas pump changed
New slip-on
Kohl trunk and panniers
New key barrel and ignition

But just now we got to open the sump as the oil light came on and on and as you can see it was all the debris there jamming the oil pipes. Fortunately we came up to this and now we know there has to be a bearing change, if not, we know what could have eventually happened.

How can you tell if it is the torsional damper and not from the crankset? Where can I check what bearings we need? And won’t it be good to check and change the other bearings in the crank set? If so, how can I find kind and amount of bearings needed? Thanks

The torsional damper is supported by ball bearings. These bearings are known to fail prematurely in the early Rocket models because at least one was put in backwards and couldn't receive lube. As to how we know what the debris pile is pointing to here is a bit of a lesson. The balls in a ball bearing are spaced with a cage which keeps the bearings in place and separate from each other. You can see the portions of the cage in your debris pile. As to replacing the main and rod bearings around your crankshaft, how much work do you want to perform? The torsional damper can be removed by raising the bike up high, dropping the rear swing arm, rear engine mount, remove starter and backside of engine to gain access to it. If you want to check the main bearings you usually have to pull the engine, remove the main bearing cap assembly and inspect them. Before you do that, may I suggest you clean out the screens, bolt the sump back up and fill the engine with oil then start it up to see if your oil pressure light goes out (you could hook up an oil pressure gage too). If the light goes out or gage indicates good pressure, it is a good indication that your crankshaft main bearings are good leaving you with only a couple of ball bearings to replace and a gasket. Comments from some of the guys who have done it. @warp9.9 ?

The Bike Bandit website is a good source for parts breakdown of the Rocket

The torsional damper is supported by ball bearings. These bearings are known to fail prematurely in the early Rocket models because at least one was put in backwards and couldn't receive lube. As to how we know what the debris pile is pointing to here is a bit of a lesson. The balls in a ball bearing are spaced with a cage which keeps the bearings in place and separate from each other. You can see the portions of the cage in your debris pile. As to replacing the main and rod bearings around your crankshaft, how much work do you want to perform? The torsional damper can be removed by raising the bike up high, dropping the rear swing arm, rear engine mount, remove starter and backside of engine to gain access to it. If you want to check the main bearings you usually have to pull the engine, remove the main bearing cap assembly and inspect them. Before you do that, may I suggest you clean out the screens, bolt the sump back up and fill the engine with oil then start it up to see if your oil pressure light goes out (you could hook up an oil pressure gage too). If the light goes out or gage indicates good pressure, it is a good indication that your crankshaft main bearings are good leaving you with only a couple of ball bearings to replace and a gasket. Comments from some of the guys who have done it. @warp9.9 ?

The Bike Bandit website is a good source for parts breakdown of the Rocket
Thanks so much for the lesson. I really needed it. I already sent all this info to the mech and hopefully we will manage to set it good soon. I looked for te bearings needed and there ain’t none here, only by mail and it takes up to 1 month to arrive here. Do you have by any chance the kind of bearing, dimensions and so? I believe they are 55x80x13 or 45x75x16 double sealed ball bearing. So now I need to double check if that’s so and find the best bearings I can buy here. Thanks again 🤘🏻🤘🏻🍻🍻

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the lesson. I really needed it. I already sent all this info to the mech and hopefully we will manage to set it good soon. I looked for te bearings needed and there ain’t none here, only by mail and it takes up to 1 month to arrive here. Do you have by any chance the kind of bearing, dimensions and so? I believe they are 55x80x13 or 45x75x16 double sealed ball bearing. So now I need to double check if that’s so and find the best bearings I can buy here. Thanks again 🤘🏻🤘🏻🍻🍻
Triumph parts dept. sells a complete replacement kit to cover parts needed to repair, includes the bearings, gasket, seal and housing. Believe this is best way to go. That's what I did to repair mine. Someone on here was selling repair manuals for a reasonable price, good investment.

Where are you located?

Back