What Have You Got In Your Tires??

If you can do it for free OK. But that price Is insane..The only benifit I have heard Is for antique cars that sit for years and years..Oxygen kills rubber nitrogen don't..But what about the outside of the tire.Still rather use nitrous If the bike dont get silly...Like me Te Ha Crazy jack

Rip off

Been thinking about this a little more..When you let all the pressure out of the tires they are still full of air.How do you get all the air out to put back nitrogen.You would need a second valve to perge them and then you still probably wont get more than 50% nitrogen,..What a rip..Jack

And you just hit on one issue with using nitrogen to fill your tires, Busa! Unless the tire is mounted in a nitrogen environment, or drained and refilled several times over, there'll always be a substantial amount of atmospheric air left in it. And getting a tire properly filled with nitrogen isn't cheap, initally... Just to clarify some misconceptions: Nitrogen fill is used exclusively in aircraft and racing because it is, as TonyMac said, inert. But this isn't due to flammability; it's because nitrogen will not expand or condense any appreciable amount in those applications, holding the same pressure regardless of temperature change. Also, because it's inert, it won't react in any way with the rubber compounds or metals: No degradation or oxidation. Nitrogen itself is fully inert and will not react with other substances. The gas molecules themselves are much bigger than, say, oxygen or carbon dioxide (the two other most prevalent gases found in the atmosphere), heavier as well, so the tire will "bleed" pressure at a much slower rate over time, usually well beyond the life of the tire. For this same reason, it's used by several manufacturers of earthmoving equipment. Barring a puncture or other leak, you'll never have to reset the tire pressure! There really are some great advantages to using nitrogen to fill your tires! But as I mentioned before, the initial cost of properly purging and inflating may be... daunting.

Oh no... there is more....

The nitrogen that is used to inflate the tires comes from a nitrogen generator and not a 100% pure nitrogen tank. This generator is only about 90% efficient, meaning that some oxygen slips through. Add that to what is in the tire to start with (because you can't completely evacuate it) and you are probably close to the original 80%/20% mix that is in the atmosphere. :eek:

If you didn't know... Cosco started all of this. Its a hook to get customers to return to their automotive service department. A few other marketing geniuses have picked up on this. Its funny, but I don't really recall any of the major tire manufacturers specifying the use of pure nitrogen and they make the tires.

Let's see... you can buy discount caskets at Cosco for dear old Granny. They recommend that you fill it with nitrogen when she kicks so she won't turn to mush over the next 25 years...:roll:

Some research on Nitrogen Purigen98

Compressed air can be a tires worst enemy. Air is usually oily and wet. A nasty combo that destroys the rubber compounds----PurgeN98 contains less tha 2% oxygen and is completely moisture free.

Increased tire mileage and longevity

Smoother ride and improved braking, handling and steering

Peace of mind less blowouts and tire fatigue

Better stability and decreased rolling resistance

More efficient fuel consumption and MPG

Tires are purged three times and result in 98% N
:roll:

Ride Safe, have fun and with respect!!!

One thing in Costco's favor, they have just about the lowest prices around on tires and they offer free lifetime rotation, balance, road hazzard warranty, patches, nitrogen fill up and don't forget the green valve stem caps. We have bought a few sets from them and have been very happy with their service.

I have an '01 F150 with 58,000 miles still with the original set of tires and it looks like I can squeeze some more miles out of them too, always filled with compressed air. Makes me wonder if a Goodyear Wrangler would fit on the rear of the Rocket.

Compressed air can be a tires worst enemy.
I have probably changed out over 10,000 tires over the years and have never seen the inside if a tire rot due to anything. In fact, even very old tires look brand new on the inside. Some tires, that have been run under inflated, tend to sluff off rubber on the inside and that will sometimes roll up into little rubber balls. I've seen tires loaded with very corrosive "Fix a Flat" but once you clean that out, still look brand new.

Its a snake oil gimmic.... and it works doesn't it :D

dont want to get off the subject but?

Just wondered if this would have helped my RV rotton tires? I have heard the best thing for a tire is to run them as this is the way a tire lubs itself....bikes cars rvs whatever?

Rubber wheels beats rubber heals everyday!!:roll::roll::roll:

Back