What does the "12 minute tune" do?

Nogrey

.040 Over
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster, 1997 Valk Tourer
I installed a set of TORs and Ramair filter on my 2012 Rocket Roadster. The Ramair instructions have you do the "12 minute tune", which I did, after installation. I know these bikes have a "brain" that monitors all manner of anomaly, but am wondering what corrections it is making during the "12 minute tune".

It gives the bike an opportunity to learn its new idle conditions. When you make a change such as you did, the computer will need to adapt to the big gulps of air it can now get and the big pipe it can dump the exhaust into. If you just start the bike and go, it may idle poorly for a while. It would eventually relearn, but with the 12 minute tune, it gets most of that out of the way.

The brain is deciding the amount of bang it should be giving, based on the suck and the blow it's receiving.:D
In all the years I had Tuneboy before TunEcU came out, when loading a tune, all I ever did, according to instructions, was reset adaptations to factory values. The ECU adapted to local conditions by itself and I never had any big idle issues as far as I could tell.

Great answers.

The short of it: It adjusts fueling to suite the new parts. Its a very small adjustment and not totally necessary.

Back