AdvenJack

Adventures Make Life!
Hi To All,

I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm contemplating very seriously
the purchase of a R III after yesterday's spectacular first ride! Are
there a collection of issues that are showing themselves in numbers
that I MUST know about? Obviously I'm referring to repeating issues
such as the ignition switch troubles that I'm starting to read about,
that I believe are mostly associated with 2009 and earlier models.
What I rode yesterday is for sale:
year 2010 / 16,500 miles / twin headlights / nice windshield / stiff
leather rectangular saddle bags (non-locking if I recall / engine pro-
tection bars with folding highway pegs / the ask is $6,500. I'm giv-
ing it serious consideration.

Thank you all in advance,

Sounds like a pretty fair deal.

You should not have a problem with the ignition switch with that year. The headlights power no longer go thru the switch.

I have not heard of a systemic issue with the later Rockets. You will see here there have been some problems, but nothing im aware of thats a deal breaker.

You may hear of tranny issues, but I feel failures not the norm.

It is a machine. They break. But I haven't seen anything that other makes also have not had issues with.

Jvheli,
Thanks for the fast reply. i'm glad to hear your impression of the R III is positive. :)

There are slightly better deals out there. ;) :roll: :thumbsup:
I prefer to start off new with only my stink on it.
I just purchased my very first "used" motor since the 1960s.
IMHO, with a used Rocket, tis always best to get LOW mileage and know something about the previous rider. :D

I would strongly recommend a model with ABS. Cost will be about the same but I believe its worth looking for. Good luck!

ABS is indeed the best way to go!
FYI - all Roadsters have ABS. R3Ts not until 2013 or 2014.

There are slightly better deals out there. ;) :roll: :thumbsup:
I prefer to start off new with only my stink on it.
I just purchased my very first "used" motor since the 1960s.
IMHO, with a used Rocket, tis always best to get LOW mileage and know something about the previous rider. :D

Steve, quit giving advice and get busy figuring out how you can make Maggie Valley in June. :p

Now to stay on topic. @AdvenJack my 2013 was bought new and I love the big ugly beast. So far she has been pretty much bulletproof. (Knock on wood) with the excpetion of its uncanny ability to find nails, screws and staples to get stuck in the tires. Just pulled the 5th one out last weekend. 3 in the rear and 2 in the front. Transmissions have been an issue on SOME bikes, but as previously stated not all of them.

I say go for it and then look for the thread Maggie Valley in June 2019 and sign up for the rally.

Good folks, good rides, good vittles. Not much wrong with that

Welcome from the UK. I say contemplate no more dive right on in(avatar pun intended) because owning a rocket will definitely be the best adventure of your life.You have all ready started a great adventure by joining this forum.Make no mistake what ever problems you have on your journey here is where you will find the answer.Good luck with your purchase and pictures please when the deal is done:thumbsup:

Back