warped rotors

wilbur-t

Top Fuel
Anybody had any trouble with warped front rotors? Mine are not too bad, but I am getting some vibration when braking. What is Triumphs take on this concerning warranty?I also have some wobble from the front tire at 40-45 mph. Am trying to wait until I'm through wearing the front tire out so both concerns could be addressed at the same time.:mad:

Mine are not too bad

You may only need a new front tyre, my friend (mileage on your mount is a pertinent question, regardless of visible wear, isn't it?). A similar effect vs cause (?) on mine was miraculously resolved with a new front Metz' ili (Swiss German for Metzeler) @ 10'000 miles.

Like in the ol' days horse trade: In case of doubt, replace them clogs first. :cool:

You may only need a new front tyre, my friend (mileage on your mount is a pertinent question, regardless of visible wear, isn't it?). A similar effect vs cause (?) on mine was miraculously resolved with a new front Metz' ili (Swiss German for Metzeler) @ 10'000 miles.

Just getting up to 7,000 miles, frt tire is over 1/2 worn. I'll replace it before heading out to the Dragon's Tail in late July. [I have noticed some uneven wear on the edges.]

Thanks Jamie.

Warped rotors... in my opinion... should be a warranty item. But I don't own Triumph so I don't pack much of a punch in these matters. We warranty them on cars up to the base warranty level (Many cars are 3 years/ 36000 miles). We don't warranty pads..

Warped rotors... in my opinion... should be a warranty item. But I don't own Triumph so I don't pack much of a punch in these matters. We warranty them on cars up to the base warranty level (Many cars are 3 years/ 36000 miles). We don't warranty pads..

Our warranty where I work is the same for rotors. Paid close attention this morning and it may just be the tire. I really don't feel the vib. in the brake lever, but through the whole bike. Maybe it's just a case of putting more weight on my not-so-good front tire as I'm braking.

My front rotors were warped and replaced under warranty around 11K miles (when I returned from Americade). Davo took a spin on my bike at Americade last year and said his rotors felt the same way so not sure if he took care of his problem or not.

I'm wondering whether those with warped issues have regularly dipped a wick in a WAC or rode the breast of a WAV; or at the very least, regularly driven in the heavy rain showers. I had car rotors that went bad quickly due to hot rotors being bathed in water puddles. So it was that I was told. '98 Buick Rivieras are/were notorious on both front pads and rotors issues. Changes to drilled and slotted rotors and titanium pads towards the end.

Wilbur:

Are you sure the rotors are warped. I'll have to look up the acceptable runout limit, but the only way to be sure would be to dismount the assembly and set them on a surface plate (on parallels because of the floating center) and gage them. Most every rotor is "warped" a little, even new and drums are out of round. That's manufacturing tolerances.

Interestingly, the acceptable out of round on a Meritor truck drum is 0.020 and they all seem to be close to that. Runout as well as out of round can and will be acerbated by how the bart is stored. Drums should always be stored open face down while brake discs shouls always be stored in a vertical position. The relentless pull of gravity warps them.

A little hint, when you need a grinding wheel for your bench grinder, always buy one that is stored vertically. grinding wheels stacked in a pile are no good. The close tolerance wheels for my surface grinder are all stored vertically, on a rack.

Back