Warning Lite - Oil lite stays on

I think he said in early posts the level in the tank was not dropping
When I initially started looking at the bikes issues - the oil pan gasket looked like it had this material around it - it looked very sloppily applied - ((all over)). I have attached a picture of the front side of the engine right around the Clutch Basket - see this gasket material, it looks like that of what we have found already but this looks neater then what I scraped off the oil pan area... Thoughts> see picture of oil pan when pulled originally

20201001_122500.jpg
20200902_184358.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you'll need your Erector Set to zero this engine, or look for a used engine, or part out this bike, and get one that for has been better cared.

Did the previous owner have stock in a silicone factory. Looks like he smeared it on every surface, I think you will find all the oil ways are comprised and probably in bearing journals. This looks like a complete tear down if you plan to use this motor as you just don’t know what has been starved of oil and overheated. Part this out and by another working motor from someone like Pinwall

When I initially started looking at the bikes issues - the oil pan gasket looked like it had this material around it - it looked very sloppily applied - ((all over)). I have attached a picture of the front side of the engine right around the Clutch Basket - see this gasket material, it looks like that of what we have found already but this looks neater then what I scraped off the oil pan area... Thoughts> see picture of oil pan when pulled originally

20201001_122500.jpg
20200902_184358.jpg
I just removed the front of my engine for clutch issues, and that clean bead you show in the first picture was in mine as well just like that, but i did find that it was starting to separate from the case a little, so i just gently removed the strip to keep it from getting caught up in anything

20201001_122500.jpg
20200902_184358.jpg
Ok I know it wasn't you, but thats mucked up. You need to find the feller that did that and make sure he doesn't breed, by what ever method needed . Now a 2x4 will work but I would hit him atleast three times. If you're using the back of a steel shovel twice will be sufficient:)

This is yet another case of a workman doing things they know the customer can't see, at least until much later.

When I took delivery of my 2004 Honda ST1300, I had "SUCKER" stamped on my forehead.

My wife and I rode Amtrak to Cleveland, and a runner from the shop gave us a ride.

I didn't realize until later I was in trouble when I had calle a few days before, and it was clear, they had not even started on the work I asked them to do (heated grips, among other things).

The ride home was o.k., including an overnight stop at a nice B&B in southwest Pennsylvania.

Once home, I felt I needed to check something. I had the service manual, and started the sequence of removing the tupperware.

The panels nearly fell off the bike.

*EVERY* hidden body clip was missing, an obvious expedient in their haste to get the bike back together.

I was furious, and called. I received an effective shrug and they sent me a complete set of the body clips.

Just one example of many, and every one, you take note.

Remember, the first one, is "shame on them". The second time is, "Shame on me."

Thank you for sharing your challenge, this is fun.

Whichever way you go, you should end up with a machine that provides endless smiles.

Please keep us posted.

One of your first post said u bought this as a gamble and that is what it has turned out to be.
at this point i would pulled the oil tank and clean tank replace tank install pump and attach to electric drill fill oil tank with oil
turn on ign turn on drill (ccw ? )and see if it will produce enough pressure to turn off engine oil light.
now this is where the gamble starts. if the light goes out then i would put it together and ride it to see what happens.

I agree with @TURBO200R4. It looks like most of the debris was caught up in the oil pump pick up screen. What little got past the screen would be filtered out by the oil filter so the critical oil passages in the engine could be clear. It's worth a shot, if it were me, to see if the oil pump will prime and supply oil pressure enough to turn off the oil pressure warning light.

I agree with @TURBO200R4. It looks like most of the debris was caught up in the oil pump pick up screen. What little got past the screen would be filtered out by the oil filter so the critical oil passages in the engine could be clear. It's worth a shot, if it were me, to see if the oil pump will prime and supply oil pressure enough to turn off the oil pressure warning light.
I am going to order up some new gaskets and filter for the pressure pump and lean her up, torque down the bolts and give it a try. Won't happen for at least a week for parts order and a quick week in Sanibel. Gentlemen i thank you for all of your advice and look forward to move updates as we close in on a hopeful completion.

Back