Viking bag install.

Bluebelly

No funds
Ride
'16 Rocket 3 Roadster
Got a set of Viking tail bags with shock cutout and am attempting the throw-over install. Has anyone used these bags? They seem very well made for the price and look awesome on the bike but I can't get them situated properly with the shock cutout. I think I may have to go with the non-cutout model. Btw I'm no mechanic but I can usually handle a simple project like this.
1528552498593.jpg
1528552539981.jpg

I've got Viking bags on another bike, and I'm planning on putting a set on the Rocket. I used some Saddlemen throwovers from another bike for a weekend trip the week I got the Rocket, and I never got the throwovers to sit right - never had that much trouble with any bike, seems like the Rocket is just not shaped right for throwover bags.

The Vikings I had on my Suzuki 1500 Intruder, I mounted with their mounting kit. It's not fancy, and doesn't quick release, but it worked very well. They used to include the hardware for free, but maybe if you get the throwover yoke, they don't include it.

I've got the same bags but used the, "free", Viking metal rack mounts and positioned bags over the shocks as intended. Though I understand the attraction of throwover mounting for mobility.....

By the way, I'm wondering, once you get them mounted to your satisfaction, if you will find them as difficult to live with as I did. The front and backsides of the lid are so heavily Velcroed that I have found them very difficult to open and close.......thus making me remove most of the Velcroe,(loop side next to bag, not the fuzzy side on the lid) other than an inch square or so on the spots where the lid rests at the back corners. Now they are much friendlier to open and close.

I'll try to find pictures to give you an idea that might help you position the bags for the throwover material.....although I'm not sure how you would deal with the seat being over the fender......needs modification.....not the seat....... the throwover part. Found one....note I positioned the bag to be 'level' over the angle of the muffler(or 'silencer' as our bloke cousins like to say)and the bag is over the shock as designed to be. I can't tell from your pictures but your bags appear to be mounted at an odd angle that does not flow with the mufflers, as they should nor do they cover your shocks as intended....?????? Seems to me you should ditch the throwover option.....unless you want to remove your pillion every time you want to remove your bags.....or design something around(or over?) your seat that makes bag removal easy.

PS the non-shock cutout model is not going to fit any better than what you have now unless you really want to mount them the way you have now.....you would gain a few cubic inches of space with the non-cutout model.

PSS If you can figure a way that another throwover piece would help you....then you are welcome to the one I have on the garage shelf. After a couple whiskeys I am not much use but thinking if you have to have the throwover feature then it should be a throwover OVER, rather than UNDER, your seat....or "pillion" as our Brit cousins like to say.

Attachments

• 20180308_160710.jpg
    20180308_160710.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've got the same bags but used the, "free", Viking metal rack mounts and positioned bags over the shocks as intended. Though I understand the attraction of throwover mounting for mobility.....

By the way, I'm wondering, once you get them mounted to your satisfaction, if you will find them as difficult to live with as I did. The front and backsides of the lid are so heavily Velcroed that I have found them very difficult to open and close.......thus making me remove most of the Velcroe,(loop side next to bag, not the fuzzy side on the lid) other than an inch square or so on the spots where the lid rests at the back corners. Now they are much friendlier to open and close.

I'll try to find pictures to give you an idea that might help you position the bags for the throwover material.....although I'm not sure how you would deal with the seat being over the fender......needs modification.....not the seat....... the throwover part. Found one....note I positioned the bag to be 'level' over the angle of the muffler(or 'silencer' as our bloke cousins like to say)and the bag is over the shock as designed to be. I can't tell from your pictures but your bags appear to be mounted at an odd angle that does not flow with the mufflers, as they should nor do they cover your shocks as intended....?????? Seems to me you should ditch the throwover option.....unless you want to remove your pillion every time you want to remove your bags.....or design something around(or over?) your seat that makes bag removal easy.

PS the non-shock cutout model is not going to fit any better than what you have now unless you really want to mount them the way you have now.....you would gain a few cubic inches of space with the non-cutout model.

PSS If you can figure a way that another throwover piece would help you....then you are welcome to the one I have on the garage shelf. After a couple whiskeys I am not much use but thinking if you have to have the throwover feature then it should be a throwover OVER, rather than UNDER, your seat....or "pillion" as our Brit cousins like to say.
Thanks but I solved my problem by buying a set at the Lake George Teepee for $139. They look good and fit perfectly. I'll return the Vikings although I do like them.

Back