Valve shim removal tool

I haven't bent the steel to any kind of an angle yet, but stainless is just to difficult to cut and work with.

why work with stainless, should be no concerns about a little rust, plently of oil around, a thought about the bending, why not start with a piece of angle steel? no bending required

Hoopla

I cut out the basic design out of a piece of stainless steel last night and I can tell you making any of those more than once "ain't gonna happen". I haven't bent the steel to any kind of an angle yet, but stainless is just to difficult to cut and work with.

I'm thinking of maybe using some 1/8 wall thickness X 1 1/2 " aluminum angle and working from there. Aluminum can be pretty strong even on that downward pressure. Perhaps with a steel strip across the top if needed. Perhaps the legs could be a little wider than 1/2" to add some additional strength. Would 5/8" wide still fit?

For those of you who have made or used the tool..any thoughts?

The dimensions aren’t all that critical. The tool I build looks like a drunk teenager made it, doesn’t matter, still works.

1/2” width doesn’t matter, it only matter that it fits within the head and the area between the legs is wide enough. Alu will never make the required bend radius without snapping.

Triumph don't you know, it will be Whitworth (BSW) whacks. :) bob
Kin'ell - A proper BSW whack is serious stuff. 4 foot Stilson and 10Lb Sledge serious. So medium would be a 2 foot Stilson and a 5Lb club. Though I'd like a proper English mechanic to check my calculations. These days my whacks are calibrated to Newton Meters.

I cut out the basic design out of a piece of stainless steel last night and I can tell you making any of those more than once "ain't gonna happen". I haven't bent the steel to any kind of an angle yet, but stainless is just to difficult to cut and work with.

I'm thinking of maybe using some 1/8 wall thickness X 1 1/2 " aluminum angle and working from there. Aluminum can be pretty strong even on that downward pressure. Perhaps with a steel strip across the top if needed. Perhaps the legs could be a little wider than 1/2" to add some additional strength. Would 5/8" wide still fit?

For those of you who have made or used the tool..any thoughts?

Don't think aluminum will have the hardness needed, the tool only grabs the very edge of the bucket. I think aluminum is to malleable to have that much pressure on such a small area. Regular steel would certainly work. As I mentioned in the original plans, I used stainless cause' I work in a food plant and have mucha stainless scrap.

This helped in my head to understand the process (pause to read the text as no sound). Does this Yamaha look the same as the Rocket or much easier to those who have done it?

Loved the magnet trick at the end too.

This vid with voice over shows tool in use from 3:00 minutes on.

Last edited:
Back