Valve shim removal tool

Thanks, good to know, I'm not sure of my abilities or materials to make one

Hoopla

Haven't made it yet, but I might try and make a few. I'll see how the cutting, drilling and bending goes. Success is being able to duplicate it so they are all the same. I may have to send one to the @Rocket Scientist for a yeah or nay as to whether it fits the bill.

Haven't made it yet, but I might try and make a few. I'll see how the cutting, drilling and bending goes. Success is being able to duplicate it so they are all the same. I may have to send one to the @Rocket Scientist for a yeah or nay as to whether it fits the bill.

Splendid idea -- I would pay for the postage both ways. :thumbsup:

Fred ?

I guess you will just have to throw one of those and a mounting plate into a box for me if it works out. :)

bob

And I would throw in an oil change with the good stuff, and a container of Mixima Assembly Lube and a new valve cover gasket.

By locating the shim "under bucket", if loss of contact occurs the bucket will keep the shim in place.

Trust me, a determined individual can still cause a shim to come out. Just means more expensive damage, as they have to try harder. :)

Yesterday @Claviger Rob worked while I puked!
After we un-suck-essfully trying the one guy pushing on the ground screw driver and one guy on a pic/tweezers trying to remove the puck, we located some appropriate angle stock in my garage and Rob went at it and made the tool.
After my third puke session when I came back into the garage, Rob was doing the "Frog Dance" after he had removed the two pucks!!!

I just went out to the garage to get some pix of the tool, but couldn't find it.
Rob may have taken it with him . . .

GREAT JOB, ROB!!!
MUCH GRATITUDE!!!

I cut out the basic design out of a piece of stainless steel last night and I can tell you making any of those more than once "ain't gonna happen". I haven't bent the steel to any kind of an angle yet, but stainless is just to difficult to cut and work with.

I'm thinking of maybe using some 1/8 wall thickness X 1 1/2 " aluminum angle and working from there. Aluminum can be pretty strong even on that downward pressure. Perhaps with a steel strip across the top if needed. Perhaps the legs could be a little wider than 1/2" to add some additional strength. Would 5/8" wide still fit?

For those of you who have made or used the tool..any thoughts?

Looks like a similar design to the gen Yam FJ1100 shim tool. Funny thing is those shims will fit a Rocket.......

Spot on as usual.:thumbsup::thumbsup::whitstling::notworthy:

Notice the chamfered and dished cutout at the end of the fingers. To contact the follower?

1st photo is from different supplier.

Great price and up to 10 in stock.

If they were the right size to make adjustments to he may sell heaps more all of a sudden to R3 owners.:)

YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET ADJUSTING TOOL. EQUIVALENT TO YAMAHA PART NUMBER 90890-04110.

MANUFACTURED IN CHROME MOLY STEEL. WITH LOCATING SCREW AND SPARE LOCATING SCREW.

SUPPLIED WITH USE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE 2007 XJR1300 YAMAHA WORKSHOP MANUAL.

US eBay
Price:
GBP 19.95 Approximately US $26.42
GBP 3.95 (approx. US $5.23) Economy Shipping
YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET VALVE ADJUSTING TOOL 90890-04110 | eBay

Australia eBay
Price:
GBP 19.95 Approximately AU $35.58
GBP 3.95 (approx. AU $7.05) Economy Postage

YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET VALVE ADJUSTING TOOL 90890-04110 | eBay

Yamaha Factory Valve Shim Tool for FJ1100-1200 & XJR1300 16 Valve Air Cooled Motors 1984-Current

Yamaha OEM# for Tool: YM-33966

Applications: FJ1100 - All; FJ1200 - All; XJR1300 - All
This is the tool made by Yamaha Motors in Japan

Below is the tool for sale by aftermarket maker on eBay posted above.

Last edited:
Back