Valve Adjustment

Had my mechanic friend do mine on my 2014 Roadster at 16000 miles. There was need for a couple to be shimmed. The shims are available in a "Box of shims" and they come in varying thicknesses which is what you want. One valve may need one thickness and another valve a different thickness. You wont know until they are being gauged. Make sure you have a new gasket set on hand as well. Its an important job to have done IMO. Pretty easy when your'e watching. It's all good tho, makes the motor quieter.

Last edited:
My 2014 had been on the dyno and i wondered if this was why a couple needed shimming? They wring the bikes neck while its on that!. i'm thinking "Don't bloody break free!!"....she'd be gone if it did!

@Nat67 here you go
R3 Exhaust Shim Clearance Sheet.jpeg
R3 Inlet Shim Clearance Sheet.jpeg
Clearance worksheet.jpg

No Yamaha shims are the same size. About 25 mm. John you can do it yourself. I know the anxiety myself. Been exactly where you are myself. Did it myself winter 2016 at 33,000 miles without removing the cams. Only 3 valves were slightly out enough to adjust them. Good fortune was I could use my shims in 2 of the other valves and only had to buy 1 shim for $5. You can make the needed tools yourself with a large screwdriver and a small piece of flat stainless steel.

2016-03-24 18.09.40.jpg 2016-03-24 18.09.49.jpg 2016-03-24 18.10.00.jpg DSCN4627.JPG DSCN4628.JPG DSCN4633.JPG
I cant use this for my under bucket shims :(:confused:

Back