Valve Adjustment

johnreeder

Friend of God
Ride
R3T 2008
How critical? Has anyone had problems from not doing it? Who can we trust to do it right? I'm willing to travel a few hours to have someone do it correctly. I was wondering if Power-Tripp would do it or Carpenter Racing?

Should be done at 20,000 miles - better safe than sorry.

Carpenter racing will not perform such regular maintenance servicing unless it's in conjunction with practicing their black arts on your engine.

Better done yourself, John, or by an authorized dealer, in which case you'll have some recourse if they screw up.

As Phil said , it used to be 10000 for the valve check but Triumph upped it to 20000 . Don't panic about it and if you really can't face doing them yourself , take your time in finding a reputable Technician . It's not a hard job to do yourself tho and the highly knowledgeable guys here will be happy to walk you thru it !

As Phil said , it used to be 10000 for the valve check but Triumph upped it to 20000 . Don't panic about it and if you really can't face doing them yourself , take your time in finding a reputable Technician . It's not a hard job to do yourself tho and the highly knowledgeable guys here will be happy to walk you thru it !

I'm at 30,000 and will probably do it myself. Checking it is one thing, but adjusting it is what concerns me the most. I do all my maintenance, have never adjusted valves using the bucket shims. Should I have shims before checking it? Since valve clearance usually tightens as the seats wear I assume most likely shims will need to be removed and not added unless I need to just use a thinner shim. Is the dealer the only place to purchase shims?

It's good that you can do the inspection yourself, John. Others here can walk you through the actual valve adjustment procedure should you need to dial any of them in.

My two cents is to source where you can get a shim kit or individual shims, but wait to purchase them, if needed, until after you determine if any of your valves are either too tight or too loose.

Hermy's is a good place to order shims. Quick delivery times. I had some experience with bucket and shims (05 Bonneville) Even so not a difficult job. Took my time and followed the manual no problems at all.

Most shops will swap shims for free. They typically don’t wear. Just make a diagram showing all the shims measure do the math, remove shims, take to a dealer and swap, reinstall and measure again.

I have not done this yet on the rocket but I have done it on a couple of japper bike!! The rocket looks to be a bit more involved than the jappers!! Good luck!!

No Yamaha shims are the same size. About 25 mm. John you can do it yourself. I know the anxiety myself. Been exactly where you are myself. Did it myself winter 2016 at 33,000 miles without removing the cams. Only 3 valves were slightly out enough to adjust them. Good fortune was I could use my shims in 2 of the other valves and only had to buy 1 shim for $5. You can make the needed tools yourself with a large screwdriver and a small piece of flat stainless steel.

2016-03-24 18.09.40.jpg 2016-03-24 18.09.49.jpg 2016-03-24 18.10.00.jpg DSCN4627.JPG DSCN4628.JPG DSCN4633.JPG

Member @ozrider has a shim spreadsheet for the R3 making calculating shim thicknesses a breeze . I had it and printed it off and now can't find it , either the print or the pdf :thumbsdown:
Taking the lid off to measure them your half way there , as mentioned other members will walk you thru it and once done , your whole relationship with your bike will change . Its a liberating experience !

Back