VAG-COM-K CAN Cable - confirmed

kazjim

.020 Over
Ride
'07 Riii Touring
G'day guys, I've been looking for a diagnostic tool for my Riii - long story short, it was wrecked and now I"m rebuilding it.
When I took it out on Sunday, it got hot . . it's still winter here in Australia and although it is warm (about 20') on Sunday - the bike flashed it's 'overheat' light a few times.
So I wanted a way to test the fan.

Long story short, I found my way to TuneECU - but I dont have any Android devices, but I do have a Windows Gaming laptop.

Looking around for cables and someone suggested the VAGCom cables (VCDS / Ross TEch) could work.
(Link to the one I bought on Ebay a few years ago)

Well, I own two VW Mk5 Golfs, so of course I own a VAG-COM cable :p

I can confirm it works, although patience is suggested .. . I saw it connect and authorise about 8 times before it finally connected properly (About 3-4 mins?)
I used the default drivers that Windows found - I'm sure there are better ones that probably speed up the connection, but it's working so I wont mess with it :p
But then everything was fine - I was able to prove that the fan that is on there didn't work and that my 'spare' worked perfectly - so that one is getting bolted to my alloy radiator when it arrives and all will be well!

YouTube video here --> Vag-Com Cable working on Windows on Riii

Next - - is there a tune available for 'stock' setup with K&N Drop in filter that needs 98 octane? I can get 98 all day long here and I think a tune to run best on that would add a few ponies - not that it needs it!

71455393458__1843717F-289E-404A-82B1-88E2FE7B02EA.jpeg

Glad to see you have the TuneECU system working fine. I have the Windows version working on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 as an operating system. The only issue on startup is to tell the program to access my USB port manually. it's actually quite quick loading. I use the Lonelec cable recommended by TuneECU. Glad to see the cable you use works.

Concerning the gasoline you plan on using, the Rocket only needs regular gas since it is such a low compression engine. Premium fuels won't add any power at all. Save yourself some cash. I'm pretty sure one of the fellows who owns an earlier Touring will pipe up regarding a tune because a lot of fellows have installed the tune from a Classic or Roadster... (depending on the ECU/year you have) for an instant power increase. The Touring was detuned to around 107 hp and around 154 ft/lbs of torque making it a torque monster. The Standard/Classic was set to 142 hp and 147 ft/lbs torque. The only difference between the engines is the tune. The tune you choose should take into consideration stock pipes vs free flowing units along with the type of intake/filtration you will have. There is quite a selection on TuneECU and a wealth of info from the gang here.

Glad to see you have the TuneECU system working fine. I have the Windows version working on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 as an operating system. The only issue on startup is to tell the program to access my USB port manually. it's actually quite quick loading. I use the Lonelec cable recommended by TuneECU. Glad to see the cable you use works.

Concerning the gasoline you plan on using, the Rocket only needs regular gas since it is such a low compression engine. Premium fuels won't add any power at all. Save yourself some cash. I'm pretty sure one of the fellows who owns an earlier Touring will pipe up regarding a tune because a lot of fellows have installed the tune from a Classic or Roadster... (depending on the ECU/year you have) for an instant power increase. The Touring was detuned to around 107 hp and around 154 ft/lbs of torque making it a torque monster. The Standard/Classic was set to 142 hp and 147 ft/lbs torque. The only difference between the engines is the tune. The tune you choose should take into consideration stock pipes vs free flowing units along with the type of intake/filtration you will have. There is quite a selection on TuneECU and a wealth of info from the gang here.

Ha, thanks, I was being a bit facetious - but I run 98 in my GTi and it's quite available here,
Setting the tune to be '98 only' would certainly unlock a little power, i'm sure :p

I havnt even given this bike a ride in anger yet, so I have no idea if it needs more or not :p

But, if I decide to keep it, you bet that I'll be playing with the ignition maps :p

Back