Using Black RTV when replacing cam cover gasket.

GGMN

Standard Bore
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Roadster
I know there's discussion on cam cover gaskets, but does anyone use a sealant when replacing a cam cover gasket? I'm considering a thin coat of Permatex Black RTV. Thanks guys!! :)

I know there's discussion on cam cover gaskets, but does anyone use a sealant when replacing a cam cover gasket? I'm considering a thin coat of Permatex Black RTV. Thanks guys!! :)
Black RT should be fine BUT ! Use very sparingly . I like to use a very thin smear , give it a couple of minutes and then stipple it with a gloved finger . Too much will ooze inside the cover causing possible blockages to oil ways etc , plus too much will cause the gasket to slide as you tighten the bolts !

Black RT should be fine BUT ! Use very sparingly . I like to use a very thin smear , give it a couple of minutes and then stipple it with a gloved finger . Too much will ooze inside the cover causing possible blockages to oil ways etc , plus too much will cause the gasket to slide as you tighten the bolts !
Thanks! Appreciate the reply! Should I hit both sides of the gasket, or just the head side?

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!
Plan the same job this weekend hopefully if no shims need to be replaced. Going to just use silicon on the four areas recommended per manual. Only this time I'm going to let it set up a little bit before assembly.:):):):):):):)

Plan the same job this weekend hopefully if no shims need to be replaced. Going to just use silicon on the four areas recommended per manual. Only this time I'm going to let it set up a little bit before assembly.:):):):):):):)
I'm getting leaking at various spots on my cam cover, kinda strange considering it's a 2013 with only 6000 miles on it.

I'm getting leaking at various spots on my cam cover, kinda strange considering it's a 2013 with only 6000 miles on it.
Your not alone , there are whole threads dedicated to this problem . I'm guessing the rubber compresses as every time I lift my tank the cap screws need another fraction of a turn to hit the tight torque setting !

Back