Usage of the TuneBoy

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hey all, after a try or two, I think I was able to download the 20050_2 tune in the old girl. Well, at least she ran when I took her out for a spin, & seemed pretty spunky, but she always does.

Here's the question: It states that it will take about 3 to 5 minutes to download the tune the first time and any alterations thereafter will be quick. I watched with anticipation as the download "blue" bar crepted farther across the screen. The light on the cable flashing like a disco dance floor strobe light (quickly). When the download bar reached the end and a few seconds went by, nothing happened. Then a message "bleeped" on the screen (only a split second) and still nothing. The LED continued to flash rapidly so I waited. After about 10 minutes, still flashing, during which time I noticed messages below the download bar. On the left was "Authenticated", on the right side was "Open loop, conditions not yet met". So, after the 10 minute wait, I switched the key off (forgot to mention that I did get the message to switch the key off then back on to complete the ????).

I slipped the seat back on & took her out & successfully returned home, under her own power. Still can't figure out if I was "absolutely, positively, without a doubt" successful in the tune change.

Did the "Identify map in ECU" thing but it would only tell me tune 20050, not all the other notes attached with the 20050_2, TOR after market pipes, cat bypass, full blah, blah, blah.

What do you think? Did I cross over to the "other side"?

See ya.

downloading

Yeah mine does the same, & since all the really bad decel popping & banging dissapeared, speedo reset etc, I assume its a safe bet its downloaded.

The identify map in ECU function doesn't work on our ECUs. The base tune of the series of tunes will always show at the top of the screen ie 20050. The best bet to make sure your tune loaded is to listen for the fuel pump to prime. It will prime when the upload is complete. When loading a tune if you are using a lap top make sure it is plugged in and if you have a battery tender etc go ahead and hook it up to the bike also.

Thanks Pigger, I did hear the fuel pump go through its motions. I just did not get a message that the download was complete.

I do have the laptop plugged in (the silly battery can fall flat in a matter of minutes) and I removed the headlamp & running light fuses to cut down on battery energy lose.

I will ask if there is a chart for selecting the best suited tune for a specific setup.

As stated, I loaded the tune Wayne modified for the TOR's & cat bypass, where he started with a Staintune exhaust setup. Link Removed

The only difference that is not mentioned in the "notes" part of that tune is air breather setup. I have the under the tank application.

So, TORs, cat bypass, under tank K&N. Do I have the best possible tune to date?

Thanks much. I thought I might get you involved before this was all done with.

I think you are pretty close. I ran one of the smoothdecel tunes when I had the under the tank set up. I am going to organize the tunes shortly in a "database" thread for easy reference and lock the thread so they don't get lost in discussions.

That's what I'm lookin' fer Pigger.

"Establish, pour concrete, let sit, immobile!"

We'll know where to find it next time, just like that flag pole.

Lets say you live in TX and drive to CO. Will a tuneboy adjust to the differnt altitudes? Or does it stay on the tune that's loaded?

Tuneboy is a cable with a program on a computer that loads tunes into the ECU like the Triumph tool. The TuneEdit program lets you modify those tunes. So the ECU will adjust just like with the factory tunes based on the info from the ambient pressure sensor.

Rusty, what version TuneBoy did you use. I'm having an issue with 3.5.5.
My issue is a failure of the Diagnostics Dash (TuneBoy vs TuneEdit). Were you successful in getting the Diagnostics up and running. The dash skin fails to display for me. I've not had this with previous versions.

When the download is complete and the fuel pump cycles then the download is successful.
There should be instructions to cycle the bike's power off and back on again.

I have found several tuneboy instances in the registry. I've run the Registry Cleaner and it gives no instances of errors during the few seconds that it runs, then instantly it's gone from the desktop. I've been into regedit and have tried to manually delete these Tuneboy registry entries but they are locked. This is the first time, in my long history of screwing around in the registry, that I've had a registry entry "locked".

Back