Update on tire wear on the 2020 Rocket

I am careful about keeping pressures optimum so I expect it’s my riding style. Fast starts from a stop, hammer on out of corners, hard on brakes going in, wide open quick shifts quite often and general hard riding the mountain twisties. I’m not really complaining, more like a badge of super hooning.:sneaky:

The older Rocket gets its fair share of wheelies and power shifts with wheel spin.
Well, I had a chance for a cuppla days to ride with the dentist here and we were both rough on the tires in the curves. The worst I ever recorded was 3600 miles to the white strip in the middle of my rear tire on the ol 2300 Big Red--two factors at play- 1) my riding style (I use the transmission rather than brakes to set up for twisties and no matter how smooth one is between clutch and throttle, you're gona skip rubber off each time- I've had guys ride behind me for 20 miles and swear they never saw the brake light come on, and 2) up here in the Adirondacks, we have natural garnet mines so the road crews use garnet in the pavement which is essentially sand paper!) In any event, long ago I gave up worrying bout the cost of rear tires- it's just the cost of endless smiles :)

Well, I had a chance for a cuppla days to ride with the dentist here and we were both rough on the tires in the curves. The worst I ever recorded was 3600 miles to the white strip in the middle of my rear tire on the ol 2300 Big Red--two factors at play- 1) my riding style (I use the transmission rather than brakes to set up for twisties and no matter how smooth one is between clutch and throttle, you're gona skip rubber off each time- I've had guys ride behind me for 20 miles and swear they never saw the brake light come on, and 2) up here in the Adirondacks, we have natural garnet mines so the road crews use garnet in the pavement which is essentially sand paper!) In any event, long ago I gave up worrying bout the cost of rear tires- it's just the cost of endless smiles :)
I’ll just tell you straight up that you, Craig and I will never get high milage on our bikes riding the way we were in WV. We were riding hard and fast leaving our rubber all over the roads up there. I was quite impressed with the riding techniques you both were exhibiting. You can guys can sure waste rubber with me any day.

Mine will be almost at 18,000km for the rear next week when it gets changed about 1/3 of which has been highway work. My Front when I changed it had done about 22.000km that is with Cobra Chromes on my 2011 R3R.
The centre of the rear is down to the wear indicators as is the right side just off centre.
I am pretty happy with that.

Ahhh, tire wear- my favorite subject. I change tires about 3 times/year.

The cost of mounting, about $55/wheel if I remove the wheel and bring it in (not to mention rim damage), prompted me to figure out how to change and balance both front and rear myself. But, that's another story.

I ride the same general terrain and road conditions as Dr. D. We've carved a few roads together. Our riding styles are similar. I don't do fast starts usually, so I think a lot of the wear we get is using the torque available on these bikes- otherwise, what's the point of having it? Gearing down to go into corners, then powering up hard to bring the bike back up, then setup for the next curve. We use all of the tire, so you'd think we'd get more life.

Here's my loose records. The recent Cobra Chrome on the front (first time user) nearly set a record, but it's because I didn't have access to my tire changing tools and I pushed it much longer than I wanted. I know many of you guys love that tire, but after about 3k it started wearing unevenly and handled like crap. I'm back to Dunlop American Elite on the front, which no one seems to talk about, but is a great tire. None of them last long.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 8.44.17 AM.png

Tire psi? Fast starts from dead stops? Curious.
Probably weight is a big factor. I get 5000 from a rear and 7-8000 on a front on my Carpenter Touring, but the front scallops so bad I should probably change it sooner. No wheelies, but some may think I ride it pretty hard. And I live in the flatlands, so all the wear goes right to the center. The Touring weighs 870 wet, plus my fat ass

Probably weight is a big factor. I get 5000 from a rear and 7-8000 on a front on my Carpenter Touring, but the front scallops so bad I should probably change it sooner. No wheelies, but some may think I ride it pretty hard. And I live in the flatlands, so all the wear goes right to the center. The Touring weighs 870 wet, plus my fat ass
Haha! Maybe so.

Back