Update on tire wear on the 2020 Rocket

I've got 8400km (5250miles) on my R3GT with a decent trip planned for the summer which is slated for 6500km (4000miles) plus whatever I put on before I leave at the end of July. I've got a service appointment scheduled for the end of April (safety recall, ECU update, general service, probably oil for the season), does it makes sense to change out the front and rear at the same time or wait for closer to the trip?

Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra (I had a lot of success with them on my 2014 Rocket III Roadster) or Avon Chrome? They are both about the same price but I have never used Avon except for what's on the R3GT now.

TIA

I've got 8400km (5250miles) on my R3GT with a decent trip planned for the summer which is slated for 6500km (4000miles) plus whatever I put on before I leave at the end of July. I've got a service appointment scheduled for the end of April (safety recall, ECU update, general service, probably oil for the season), does it makes sense to change out the front and rear at the same time or wait for closer to the trip?

Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra (I had a lot of success with them on my 2014 Rocket III Roadster) or Avon Chrome? They are both about the same price but I have never used Avon except for what's on the R3GT now.

TIA
I got 11,000 miles out of my first rear and the second rear is going to be about the same. I got 17,000 miles out of the first front. All Avons. I am very satisfied with them grip is good as well. For reference I ride in sport mode most of the time with TC enabled to save on rubber. I do use rider mode with TC disabled on occasion.

As I can see many differences according to the riders, the way of riding, the location, ....
According to the picture attached, when do you decide to change your tire; when tire is at level 1, 2, 3 or another ?

Tire R3 2020.png

TIA
Yes, yes and don't know.

LEVEL 2 is the wear indicator.
This is the one I will use and the legal one in France ( 1 mm depth) but many dealerships ask you to change your tires before you will reach N°2 ...

Back