Update...broke down yet again

You know what fellows, I think Triumph makes a fine motorcycle. Their bikes use quality components, have excellent fit, finish and are very stylish. They are also very unique. Who ever manufactured a 2300 or 2500cc motorcycle? The majority of us have had good success purchasing and running the Rocket... These bikes are way more dependable than the ones built in the 60s. How many Bonnevilles or 750 Tridents made it past 100,000 miles (which our current Rockets easily beat) and beyond with minimal maintenance?

If you look at any car or bike manufacturers, they all have their problems. Usually these issues get fixed by the dealer right away under warranty especially if the tradesmen get some experience working on them. The problem is, new models and tech force you to become the training providers. You guys end up unearthing those problems Triumph hasn't seen. That's why I try and wait a few years for the new model to mature before purchasing (living 8 hours from the nearest dealer forces me to not rely on warranty). Intermittent electrical issues can be a real pain to diagnose. I find the switch to digital systems from analog has resulted in a larger number of electrical problems but the benefits of the digital age cause us to overlook these problems because they usually get fixed. Unfortunately you guys have been unlucky, first having one of these electrical problems and second, not getting the service necessary to address them. I wouldn't condemn the manufacturer totally though.

Have you guys considered a consumer protection course like "Lemon Law"?

PS. If you were to sell your bike, I'd be one of the first to consider it, even with the issue because I believe it is totally fixable. Good luck and don't give up on the Rocket.

You know what fellows, I think Triumph makes a fine motorcycle. Their bikes use quality components, have excellent fit, finish and are very stylish. They are also very unique. Who ever manufactured a 2300 or 2500cc motorcycle? The majority of us have had good success purchasing and running the Rocket... These bikes are way more dependable than the ones built in the 60s. How many Bonnevilles or 750 Tridents made it past 100,000 miles (which our current Rockets easily beat) and beyond with minimal maintenance?

If you look at any car or bike manufacturers, they all have their problems. Usually these issues get fixed by the dealer right away under warranty especially if the tradesmen get some experience working on them. The problem is, new models and tech force you to become the training providers. You guys end up unearthing those problems Triumph hasn't seen. That's why I try and wait a few years for the new model to mature before purchasing (living 8 hours from the nearest dealer forces me to not rely on warranty). Intermittent electrical issues can be a real pain to diagnose. I find the switch to digital systems from analog has resulted in a larger number of electrical problems but the benefits of the digital age cause us to overlook these problems because they usually get fixed. Unfortunately you guys have been unlucky, first having one of these electrical problems and second, not getting the service necessary to address them. I wouldn't condemn the manufacturer totally though.

PS. If you were to sell your bike, I'd be one of the first to consider it, even with the issue because I believe it is totally fixable. Good luck and don't give up on the Rocket.
Of course being the person I am, I wouldn't sell a faulty bike to anyone. I'd get the issue sorted then proceed.
Look it's a great bike. Its why I bought it and it's why I love it. But the faults and issues and costs of motorcycle transport back and forth to the dealer outweigh the positives.

I'm mainly angry not because the issue itself, but the approach of the Triumph/dealer is terrible, that's what bothers me the most. I have of course expected some issues here and there with new model, but I didn't expect that it will be overlooked on purpose.
Btw my issue is purely mechanical, and not even related to the engine, which I believe is the most complicated mechanical part of a motorcycle.
Op though has an electrical issue, so it is surely fixable, just has to be identified.
I myself suffered from an electrical issue on my R3 for half a year (malfunctioning directional lights - known problem), but that was fixed in the end and is all good now.

Sometimes we long for the old positive ground LUCAS system !!!! Always worked fine until you let the smoke out.....
smoke.jpg

Just remember HEAT causes any high resistance (where they saw sparks) to get worse. You let it cool all is good. Could be a starter causing such a large current draw that it causes the TFT to go below required voltage as well as drain the battery and heat up any connections so that they won't cool anytime soon. A good electirician or electronics guy with a schematic and a meter can knock this out quickly. But since it is your bike and it has been ongoing I would add a welding helmet. If you are in the US on the east coast I would buy the bike or help you fix it. I am guessing you are over in China or Belgium. humor sorry. The sparks are key good connections don't spark. Record the sparks with a camera and play them back slow I saw someone say maybe a bad crimp on battery cable. Good Luck sir and please let us know what the fix was thanks JR last thought not knowing all the details. Could it be a compression release issue causing high starter draw? maybe pull the plugs and see if it cranks and whiirs with reduced load. Take care

Just remember HEAT causes any high resistance (where they saw sparks) to get worse. You let it cool all is good. Could be a starter causing such a large current draw that it causes the TFT to go below required voltage as well as drain the battery and heat up any connections so that they won't cool anytime soon. A good electirician or electronics guy with a schematic and a meter can knock this out quickly. But since it is your bike and it has been ongoing I would add a welding helmet. If you are in the US on the east coast I would buy the bike or help you fix it. I am guessing you are over in China or Belgium. humor sorry. The sparks are key good connections don't spark. Record the sparks with a camera and play them back slow I saw someone say maybe a bad crimp on battery cable. Good Luck sir and please let us know what the fix was thanks JR last thought not knowing all the details. Could it be a compression release issue causing high starter draw? maybe pull the plugs and see if it cranks and whiirs with reduced load. Take care
I'm in Sydney. The bike for the last 10 days has been at the dealership
Yes the dealer said it sparked up the 2nd time they started it. So you are correct about the heat issue causing the sparking. My hope is they just dont throw a brand new battery in and say thats fixed. I hope they do checks to see if the orginal battery was ruined due to something else and not blame just the battery otherwise this will happen again. Appreciate you reaching out to help. :)

At the end of the day whatever the issue may be, I can pass on that info here so others who suffer the same fate can know the answer.
Planning to do the same ofc regarding my issue. If I ever find out what is causing it...

Back