Update...broke down yet again

Got my Rocket back from the dealer yesterday after a 3 week visit. I rode it 5 miles and same problems pop back up. Had a 22 mile range showing so head to gas up, then the gas cap won't open to refuel. Got back home with 17 miles remaining. Got it loaded back up to carry back to the dealer to see if I should put it in a big fire and call my insurance agent.

20221110_071852.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Rocket back from the dealer yesterday after a 3 week visit. I rode it 5 miles and same problems pop back up. Had a 22 mile range showing so head to gas up, then the gas cap won't open to refuel. Got back home with 17 miles remaining. Got it loaded back up to carry back to the dealer to see if I should put it in a big fire and call my insurance agent.

20221110_071852.jpg
I'm afraid I missed your description of the issue, if you had written it earlier. Gas cap can't be opened? Or it was something else?

I'm afraid I missed your description of the issue, if you had written it earlier. Gas cap can't be opened? Or it was something else?
The gas cap issue is new. Ever since new it throws codes and sputters when ridden hard. First time was about 3 miles from the dealership upon purchase. My code reader says it is the IMU. The bike shows OCTC Disabled and OCABS Disabled on the TFT. Then it sputters and dies. Every time I ride it like I bought it for. Now ride like a little girl and all is fine. I don't ride like that.

The gas cap issue is new. Ever since new it throws codes and sputters when ridden hard. First time was about 3 miles from the dealership upon purchase. My code reader says it is the IMU. The bike shows OCTC Disabled and OCABS Disabled on the TFT. Then it sputters and dies. Every time I ride it like I bought it for. Now ride like a little girl and all is fine. I don't ride like that.
Eh, you seem more cursed than I am m8... I have an issue, but at least still the same :-( And some ppl still try to tell me how high is the quality of Rockets, hmm, something tells me that if they know what we know, It will change their opinion very fast....

Eh, you seem more cursed than I am m8... I have an issue, but at least still the same :-( And some ppl still try to tell me how high is the quality of Rockets, hmm, something tells me that if they know what we know, It will change their opinion very fast....
I'm wanting to remain optimistic that it gets fixed. But an 8 month old motorcycle, with less than 2500 miles, that has issues every time ridden concerns me. Future issues after the warranty expires could get costly. I might have to let her go before then.

I'm wanting to remain optimistic that it gets fixed. But an 8 month old motorcycle, with less than 2500 miles, that has issues every time ridden concerns me. Future issues after the warranty expires could get costly. I might have to let her go before then.
My bike is 13 months old, the issue is there since day 1 and they still don't even aknowledged it's there, also nice, huh? 🙃
Don't lose faith m8, as soon as you will have these labor pains (as we say in my country) fixed, you'll be all right ;-)

My bike is 13 months old, the issue is there since day 1 and they still don't even aknowledged it's there, also nice, huh? 🙃
Don't lose faith m8, as soon as you will have these labor pains (as we say in my country) fixed, you'll be all right ;-)
I hope so, anyway it's back at the dealer. Again...

Shot in the dark here but I wonder if it isn't something like a pinched tank vent hose. I know on my carburetted America the engine would quit if the tank hose got kinked during install (ask me how I know). Depending on how bad it was kinked the bike would sputter and quit or just run poorly when opened up, granted it was a gravity feed. When the bike began to sputter, I'd pop open the tank cap and everything was fine. Since the Rocket is equipped with a fuel pump, I'm not sure how the bike would react with an unvented fuel tank. Could it collapse the tank and continue to run or just sputter and quit???? Like I said, passing on ideas...

Shot in the dark here but I wonder if it isn't something like a pinched tank vent hose. I know on my carburetted America the engine would quit if the tank hose got kinked during install (ask me how I know). Depending on how bad it was kinked the bike would sputter and quit or just run poorly when opened up, granted it was a gravity feed. When the bike began to sputter, I'd pop open the tank cap and everything was fine. Since the Rocket is equipped with a fuel pump, I'm not sure how the bike would react with an unvented fuel tank. Could it collapse the tank and continue to run or just sputter and quit???? Like I said, passing on ideas...
Could be. Or I wonder if the spark plug boots are on correctly reading another thread.

Back