Undertank K&N

Pig9r

Living Legend
This is one of the easiest and least expensive mods I think can be done. And as a bonus you get some much needed under seat storage.

You will need a K&N RU-5111 air filter
http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=ru-5111

Start by removing the seat and unscrewing the four screws that secure the cover over the air filter.

Next remover the cover and the air filter.

Lift the tank, which requires.... first the removal of the allen head bolt under the gauges.......second the remove of the chrome "bear claw" cover. For 2004 & 2005's the gages need to be moved before lifting tank. The tank can be raised with gas in it so don't worry about leaks. After you have lifted the tank use the prop wand to hold it up. Observe where the air intake travels. Toward the hinged part of the tank you will see a black tube that connects with the grey tube. Disconnect and gently remove the black tube.

Last edited:
Once the black tube is removed you can fit the K&N. I found it fit best under the tank if it was about an 1/8 of an inch or so behind the "nub" on the grey tube. Make sure the clamp screw will not interfere with and wiring. Secure the filter and gently lower the tank. Take time to insure there is room and that wiring and gas lines do not interfere with the filter.

Once you are satisfied with the fit reinstall the tank. It would probably wouldn't hurt to do the 12 minute tune. After the first ride or two check and make sure the filter is not interfering with anything and that it is still secure. Also be careful when washing and don't spray water up under the tank.

Now you have a nice little glove box under the seat.

Update: I have removed the tube that goes from the crankcase vent to the airbox. The K&N 62-1340 works for this application. Easier fitment can be had by unbolting and lifting the front of the airbox, otherwise it is very tight.

Last edited:
Do you know if K&N...

Did K&N ever come up with those filters to fit under the clamshell?
Thanks, Phatdad

We were curiuos about that a couple of weeks ago... I am assuming you are talking about a complete air filter / cover setup that K&N was working on... So far I haven't seen anything ( but that doesn't mean anything)... Was it MikeEV that was onto that deal??

The part numbers for the three filter mod (by themselves) is under the "Rocket Performance" forum:

Link Removed

K & N Project

Sorry guys,
This project has taken longer than I had hoped. K & N (UK) designed a complete replacement of the bear claw which is out at air flow testing right now. I heard it doesn't look very nice though. K & N (CALIF) may redesign it if they feel there is enough interest. So start e-mailing them asking them to build a high-performance air filter setup to replace the complete bear claw assembly! My under the seat replacement has several thousand miles on it now and is ready for the microscope. The "Triples Under the Bear Claw" have about the same number of miles but must first be redesigned to fit a little better. Performance on both has been great! THE K & N PART NUMBERS LISTED ON THE PERFORMANCE PAGE DO NOT FIT UNDER THE BEAR CLAW!!! There are no part numbers for any of these new filters yet. As soon as I have the final test results, dyno results and new part numbers, I will post them on both sites. Thanks for being patient with me. K & N really likes to take their time to make sure that there are no problems or liabilities and I have no control over them...

Regards,

MikeV :D :D :D

Hi...this seems to be a really nice mod...do you have any experience on performance and consumption and whats about the intake noise?

Scholle said:
Hi...this seems to be a really nice mod...do you have any experience on performance and consumption and whats about the intake noise?

Thanks Pign9 for a very thorough air filter replacement mod, and glove box addition.:bch:

I too would be interested in intake noise change as well as any noticeable performance and gas mileage change.:confused:

I have this setup on my bike and its been on there for about 3500 miles. I really don't notice any difference in intake noise. I don't think its affected the gas milage at all. It works fine in the rain... I got poured on for about 3 hours this weekend and it never missed a beat.

You do get better throttle response... more snap so to speak. I think you get a few more horsepower... but I have no dyno runs to prove that... just "seat of the pants" testing :D

Toystoretom said:
I have this setup on my bike and its been on there for about 3500 miles. I really don't notice any difference in intake noise. I don't think its affected the gas milage at all. It works fine in the rain... I got poured on for about 3 hours this weekend and it never missed a beat.

You do get better throttle response... more snap so to speak. I think you get a few more horsepower... but I have no dyno runs to prove that... just "seat of the pants" testing :D

Despite my objections with K&N, especially living on a gravel road, I may try this and compare pre and post grunt. Should be a fun comparison.:D

Stand by before you try it, Brian K says that the RU 1700's will fit triple style under the bearclaw. I am going to order some and give it a shot.

Back