Undertank K&N

You would have a lot more snap if you hadn't tried to one up the Carpenter build, zen. You sacrificed about 20% of the oomph doing it your way and I doubt that you saved a penny.

Was there a reason you chose to go that way other than for the cosmetics of the Jardines?:confused:

BTW, you would have to re-tune for the different air intake setup. methinks that your butt dyno is out of kilter.

I don't think it matters how big the air filter is, you could put a 10,000cfm filter on but if it still runs through that convoluted plastic plumbing it won't flow worth a **** compared to the triple filter set-up. I believe that someone dyno'd the stock filter against the underseat and picked up about 3-4 hp.

You would have a lot more snap if you hadn't tried to one up the Carpenter build, zen. You sacrificed about 20% of the oomph doing it your way and I doubt that you saved a penny.

Was there a reason you chose to go that way other than for the cosmetics of the Jardines?:confused:

BTW, you would have to re-tune for the different air intake setup. methinks that your butt dyno is out of kilter.

Yes..the cosmetics of the JARS ( I love the look and sound) and because I could never get a straight answer about whether or not I would do better with the Brute leaving any air filtration in place. I'm simply not willing to run an unfiltered engine with the long trips I take, often through dusty construction sites, etc. Bob did not think the triple filters would help a great deal.
Bob dynoed my bike with velocity stacks and then with the under tank filter which cost nine HP...acceptable to me. Maybe the triple filters are better but there is no question that the under tank filter feels stronger than the stock placement even after the seat runners were removed.,,as per the "pros" advice. The difference was not subtle. I have probably been riding for years before you were born and your foregone conclusion about my experience is irrelevant to me.
BTW.. the bike has been dyno tuned with the under tank location.
There was never a thought about "one upping" the Carpenter build and I knew from the outset, as I have said so many times, that I would not get the max from it with my setup and would sacrifice a lot of HP and torque. What exactly are you so dense about?

Sorry, Slick. I've only been riding motorcycles for 48 years.

Maybe if you didn't air your dirty laundry online or via PMs to other members I wouldn't be so "dense". You have praised Carpenter out of one side of your mouth and blazed them out of the other. they are not the ones with the problem, nor am I.

Do you still want to do a meet and greet in New Hope when the weather allows or do you want to do a 180 on your invitation?:confused:

Sorry, Slick. I've only been riding motorcycles for 48 years.

Maybe if you didn't air your dirty laundry online or via PMs to other members I wouldn't be so "dense". You have praised Carpenter out of one side of your mouth and blazed them out of the other. they are not the ones with the problem, nor am I.

Do you still want to do a meet and greet in New Hope when the weather allows or do you want to do a 180 on your invitation?:confused:

Use your brain, Phil!
It is not an all or nothing thing! There is no "dirty laundry" but simply an incorrect tune while constantly hearing from the "Pros" that I was wrong. I was not.
My frustration with hearing over and over that what I was experiencing just couldn't be.
Bob told me that my bike was one of only two that this happened with. Totally understandable!
I praised Carpenter for the great build but a blanket endorsement of the final product was not warranted although I am absolutely satisfied at this time.
I also praised Carpenter for his forthrightness in admitting the mistake...it was just that, a mistake and, in no way bespeaks of his builds overall.. He is a real, honest man who knows engines to the Max and I recommend him highly. I would do the build again in a heartbeat!
My invitation stands for a New Hope meet up and I know we will get along with a beer and some talk...at least that is my hope.
I've only posted what I honestly experienced.
I hope that the forums have not become a format to simply say the positives and has no tolerance for the negatives...if so, it is not an exchange of ideas and experiences but only a sycophantic and rhetorical exchange.
You are, obviously an intelligent man and I look forward to meeting you.
PS..Riding for 50 years!

Well, you got me by a hair on the riding experience meter, zen.

We are a definite go for a meet and greet when time and the weather allows. First beer's on me!

Last edited:
I believe that someone dyno'd the stock filter against the underseat and picked up about 3-4 hp.

Yep stock roadster picked up 3hp, but if the comparison was done again with ported head etc the difference could be greater

Whats the flow rate on the ru 5111. Doe's that replace the stock under seat filter. K&N web site calls for 2204, Whats; the diffrence???

According to K&N the ru 5111 flows 433 cfm. I e-mailed them and got an immediate response. I'm sure you can do the same for any of their products.

I've received some flack about saying that I compared the under tank filter with the stock location with the under seat runners off and there is no question in my mind that the under tank filter beats the stock location even without the intake runners. The difference is actually noticable. I don't know why but I'm thinking that the under tank location shortens the intake plenum a lot!

This also gave me a place to install my second battery which makes starting the Carpenter a breeze.

Carpenter dynoed the bike with velocity stacks only and got 219 hp/180 lbs. tq (with Jars) and 208 hp/169 lbs. tq with the under tank filter. That's about a 5% loss which I accept to have filtration. He did not dyno it with the under seat (stock) filter. Carpenter did not think going to the triple filters would add a great deal (if anything) as long as I kept the Jars and didn't go for the Brute pipe.

My feeling was that even if the triples were better, they could not be as good as velocity stacks and maybe would have produced somewhere between 208 and 219.

Mine showed 220hp & 187ftlb with triple uni filters, Jardine headers & Nevs cams/valves but restricted by these two little 1 into 3 splitters designed for 1800cc, thats a 3-1-2-6 jardine/rivco power losing exhaust, I could have fitted a 3-1 but I prefered the 6pipe look. Who needs the extra power when you look good ;):D:p

Looking to do this mod. My one question is what is the deal with the little filter in the original pics? How do you keep unfiltered air from coming through the air box under the seat and into the motor? I might just be missing something...

Back