Trouble Shifting 2 Second

stepnet1983

.060 Over
I was unable to get the bike to shift into second 3 times today while on a ride. Series of events: first two times it happened was right at the start of the ride - squeezed cluthch but could not get it to shift; I was toeing up as hard as I could but still no shift. The third time was from a dead stop making a left turn - excellerated through the intersection and tried to shift into 2nd going through the turn but same thing happened. I remember the same thing happened when I demo rode a standard Rocket3 but that doesn't make me feel any better - has anyone else experienced this? or can anyone shed some light on what may be happening? New bike - possible learning curve. :confused:

The upper threaded connector where the gear lever linkage attaches to the shifter on the block was loose on mine and gear changes were stiff. Especially hard to find neutral. Worth checking.

If Muncie built transmissions for bikes, the rocket would have a Rock Crusher.:D

It doesn't slide into gear like some other bikes ... it typically goes "CLUNK!". There could certainly be something wrong, but some are tougher to shift when new and get better with age. Check to make sure the cable is adjusted properly and the clutch doesn't drag when stopped in gear first, then try shifting while stopped (you might have to roll it back and forth just a little). If the bike jumps more than it should when it goes into gear there could be some adjustment issues with the clutch.

And when it does act like it doesn't want to go into gear again, don't force it ... release the pressure on the shifter and clutch (just a little on the clutch) and try it again. Myself and others usually don't use the clutch once we get rolling, a burp on the throttle timed with the toe shifter and she slips into the next gear.

Practice some more with it and have the dealer check it over if it still gives you trouble ... better safe than sorry.

shifter

mine shifter was tight to begin with but now has loosend up abit and is great
however i was having some problems shifting into nutral also and sometimes second .
i took my bike in for its 16000K service and mentioned this and when i picked the bike up they said there was a faulty part and it would be replaced under warranty and that it was a common fault wich has now been rectified with the new parts .
so mine is going back in when the part arrives to be replaced
Regards Mitch :cool:

Back