albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
in the spirit of the R3owners community any captain who decide to open the motor for a change of pistons or cam special tools are required and since I purchased the piston removal tool and cam holder tool I will use them once only
since they are rather expensive anyone contemplating that job can borrow the tools from me outside of the time I will use them (APRIL 2016)
shipping would be at your cost beats buying the stuff !!

Nice of you Patrick hopefully some others who have specialized tools will do the same, I remember quite a few years ago the .com members used to do the same.
we R3 captains should create a pool of specialized tools and make it known on this forum since there is so few of us riding the beast and considering the cost of these tools vs the one time usage .
I was lucky to get tools from jake when I removed the swing arm last summer for the output shaft bearings replacement. so this is my way of helping other (naturally I also plan on installing NR 200hp kit in april)

I have the Cam alignment tool I loan out even got broke one but the fellow Captain order and sent me a new one :) Of course it is only good with OEM and possible the drop in cams Nev has but I can't remember. I never wasted money on the tool to pull the liners out for piston change I used duct tape and brake cleaner the first time then realized it is easy to pull the sump pan and main bearing ladder so you can get at the rods. From there it is like changing any other normal piston in a engine. But you will need new rod bolts. A lot easier then pulling the liners also.

I have the Cam alignment tool I loan out even got broke one but the fellow Captain order and sent me a new one :) Of course it is only good with OEM and possible the drop in cams Nev has but I can't remember. I never wasted money on the tool to pull the liners out for piston change I used duct tape and brake cleaner the first time then realized it is easy to pull the sump pan and main bearing ladder so you can get at the rods. From there it is like changing any other normal piston in a engine. But you will need new rod bolts. A lot easier then pulling the liners also.
Warp
remember you are talking to a novice when it comes to this sort of work I will not personally do the physical work, I am not qualified so I have a wrench who has done work on a R3 I figured getting the right tools to start with should minimize some potential problems I have also ordered the bloody expensive head gasket and the rods come april I will order the package from Neville in june I plan to ride across all the canadian maritime provinces two up then drop the wife in boston she will fly home and I will ride across the US if timing is right I will hook up with the boys on the RAA XI so I will be free for 45 days before going home .. does all that make sense??

I wonder if there would be enough interest in maybe a fundraiser for special tools to be held by a trusted member. Would be a good way to minimize personal risk if some yayhoo decided to abscond. I for sure would rather buy a sticker/patch/shirt from here than the overpriced crap from the dealer especially if i knew i might get some of the benefit from the profit.

Back