Triumph Service Survey

A lot of brick and mortar (aka Mom & Pop) operations like to use the old "service after the sale" or "you can look, touch and feel here" argument. Well, that would certainly be value added and, if it were true, I would consider that value and what price I place on it before buying. And likely, within reason, I would be willing to pay for it. Fact is, it's rarely true. Just as in this case, I pay over 19K out the door, which includes $225 for prep, and then, not only do they not deliver when promised, they didn't even do all of what they're supposed to do.

Another thing that happened is I purchased a sissy bar and luggage rack at the time I bought the bike. When I showed up to pick up the bike, there was no luggage rack on it. Come to find out, the salesman made a mistake. He wrote down 3 part numbers on the sales order and the descriptions, one of which was the luggage rack (description). Actually, the 3 numbers were only for the different pieces of the sissy bar, not the luggage rack. In the end, I got what I paid for, but not all of what I wanted. I wasn't charged for the luggage rack so it didn't really bug me. But, do you think they offered to do anything about their mistake? Hell no. They didn't even offer to sell me one, much less apologize or offer a small discount for their error. Nothing. I ended up ordering one later. If it were *ME*, I'd have been apologetic and OFFERED to order one and offer the option of either having it dropped shipped or to put it on for the customer when it came in at no cost or give a bit of a discount to make amends. It doesn't have to be much, just something to show a token of your appreciation for the customer's patience and understanding. It's not like it's going to cost me anything as the dealer. It literally took 5 minutes to put the thing on.

Again, I live 50 miles away. Did they offer to have it drop shipped? No. Did they offer to put it on when it came in? No. They did, however, expect me to pay for it at the time I ordered it. That's pretty screwed up too and, ordinarily, I'd tell a vendor to wish for that in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster, but I knew I'd eventually get the rack so I wasn't worried about it. I just don't like paying for something until I have it in hand.

I remember all of these little things, however, and I certainly don't lose any sleep if I find something cheaper somewhere else. After all, I'm not getting the service after the sale or any other incentive to use them exclusively. Therefore, I'll go with the cheapest price. I just bought a new windshield bag off of Ebay for $58 shipped. The dealer would've charged me $65 plus tax, plus I'd have to drive 50 miles to get it. Now, if they were doing what they're supposed to be doing and I were perfectly content with them, do you think I'd deny them my business over chump change? I would not.

Again, overall, I like the folks at the dealership. I just think they get busy, complacent or whatever and just don't think sometimes. They can certainly earn my loyalty. I don't hold grudges and tend to have a short memory. Should they change their ways, I'll be happy to throw all of business their way.

You guys are right, however, it's pretty mucy rampant throughout the retail world. Music stores are really bad. The local M&Ps suck, IMO. I don't buy squat from them. I can order online, try out the product for 45 days and send it back should I decide I don't like it and never once have I ever received anything but a "Yes sir, we'll be happy to refund your money" out of them. In return, I've spent literally thousands with them over the years. The local M&Ps would laugh you out of the store if you asked them to do that. Thus, they receive ZERO dollars from me.

Last edited:
.....They did, however, expect me to pay for it at the time I ordered it. That's pretty screwed up too and, ordinarily, I'd tell a vendor to wish for that in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster, but I knew I'd eventually get the rack so I wasn't worried about it. I just don't like paying for something until I have it in hand.

I've ordered a few things through my dealer. They have asked if I wanted to pay then or wait until it came in, but have never required me to pay up front. They do see me in there from time to time and I do talk to the owner each month at the RAT meeting, but the guy at the parts counter doesn't know me. Maybe your dealer has gotten burned one too many times.

Reply to rocketdaryl

Daryl,yes we take these surveys seriously.We are a five star dealer and to acheive this we must have a survey rating in the top 5% in the country.Yes we dropped the ball on your delivery time,and i truly cannot recall exactly why,but we also gave a new helmet with the bike,the 1st service free and installed all your accessories free at the time of purchase.That is one of our policy's.I have no excuse for the late delivery and as the service manager and owner the buck stops here.My main gripe is that you did not call or e-mail me with your concerns so we could make amends if possible.We strive for staisfaction in all cases but we must know about it.I have addressed your concerns with my mechanics and will do what it takes to be sure it does not happen again. I also would like to know what the pressures were as we usually use 36 frt 38 rear and we do check them at delivery,as the bike may have been prepped a month before it was sold, We did not notice the bars,and i'm not a fan of Triumph's mirror mounting system,but we do our best to make it work.I have no hard feelings about this,but would wish that any concerns you have are addressed to me and not the internet.If i cannot resolve the problem,then feel free to post all you want.I always follow up on my service and after the 500 mile svc i was told all was fine so i had no idea you had issues. Please let me know if you have anything we can help you with.Dink

Soon to be resolved

Daryl . . sounds like a phone call or visit is in order. Like I said . . they are good folks over there and I would still recommend them. There are always a few issues that come up from time to time and it sounds like Dink would like to work them out . . . as for my tire issue . . . Darth Vader is now my daddy. ;)

dealer service

Hey Dave, Dink here.I have read your issues and want you to know first we are very glad to get your business.you have bought from us and sent people to us.Occassionally we screw up,but since i've known you and Debbie for years you know i will do what i can to make it right.On the tire issue iv'e been told by Triumph and most importantly my insurance company,not to mount auto tires on a Rocket at all. Compare it to someone wanting you to fill an out of date non inspected scuba tank. It's not an issue of where you bought the tire as we will mount anyone's tire at an extra charge if bought elsewhere,but i would not be covered if something happened and you had an accident.I will not risk my business for that and as you know i've been here 30 years.Also i do not have anything to do with parts or sales anymore as all my time is taken up by service,but keep in mind i am still the owner and if you have any issue e-mail me at service@danddcycles.com or come in and i promise to fix it.Again i appreciate all the business youv'e brought us and hope to to keep you and Debbie as friends and customers.Thanks Dink

The tire issue was mounting a Metz 880 not a car tire . . . I know you wouldnt mount that and I didnt even ask . . . although I told you I would probably do it AND got your and Triumphs stand on it. No problem there. My problem was with being told you wouldnt mount ANY tire bought from somewhere else and good luck finding anyone who would . . I couldnt understand that one and called Tony. No problem . . Metz 880 mounted. There wasnt really anything to talk to you about.

As for the parts and accessories issue . . I stated my opinion on what I THINK about sales in competition with the internet. Nothing bad. You know I've been in your shoes with my own shop. I still tell folks to come there and see no reason to change that.

Hopefully I wont be crucified next time I walk in the door for that opinion . . .:D

Tire issues

Dave,i do not know who here told you that,and i apoligize for it as that is not our policy.I will mount any motorcycle tire even if bought somewhere else,and do not charge extra for regular customers in most cases .Please see me if there is any question on anything you need,and again i'm sorry that happened.You know we will treat you the same any way and this was our fault to begin with. I hate rocket daryl is so unhappy and wish he would have let me know about first and given me the chance to make it right.Dink

"but we also gave a new helmet with the bike,the 1st service free and installed all your accessories free at the time of purchase."

Those things were negotiated before the sale (aka deal clinchers, IMO).

"I have no excuse for the late delivery and as the service manager and owner the buck stops here.My main gripe is that you did not call or e-mail me with your concerns so we could make amends if possible."

Fair enough. You are right that I didn't mention it to you personally, but I did mention it to one of your employees. And yes, it's certainly possible to make amends. As stated, overall I think you guys are pretty decent folks. In fact, I've purchased other items since so it's not like I'm totally PO'd. I'm just a bit frustrated.

"I always follow up on my service and after the 500 mile svc i was told all was fine"

By who? You've not followed up with *me*.

As for the tire pressures, they were 6 and 8 pounds light respectively, according to the label on the frame. It's been over a month now, but I *think* the sticker on the frame (VIN tag) calls for 38 front and 42 rear. If so, then the readings were 32 and 34. I don't recall the exact numbers. I DO remember they were 6 and 8 shy of what the label on the frame called for and I assume that's what caused the front end to wabble on decel because I've not had that issue since.

I have no hard feelings either. I state that as well in my earlier post, and I truly hope my future experiences are positive. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm more than happy to give you all of my business. And, as you know, this isn't the first bike I've bought from you guys. My first experience with you guys, 3 years ago, was great and that's why I came back to you. And, also, why I've been a bit frustrated this time. I'm a repeat, cash paying customer (no financing/loan approval hassles to deal with).

I do stand by everything I've posted, however. I didn't make this stuff up. If you'd like to discuss in private, feel free to call me. (850) 302-3989. Daryl

to mj bell

We don't get much of anything for good survey reports other than being able to say we are a five star dealer which is a good sales tool as we try to take good care of our customers.we do make the occasional mistake,and try hard to fix them. Our sale and service people are paid a salary so they are not so push oriented and can take better care of people, and do not depend on sales for their pay.We can do minor service free because the tech's aren't depending on turning out bikes regardless of quality work. Thanks dink

Triumph survey

Daryl,again i'm sorry we dropped the ball on this one,and i do not know about the tire pressures as the tech said he checked them.Obviuosly something happened. The sticker says 42 rear,36 frt.Our experience shows in Florida and our flat roads,a little less helps the Rockets rears to last a little longer.And at the price every little helps.Still that is not an excuse if yours were that low.I have a system in place that tells me when to do my follow up calls and i think i spoke to a lady or a daughter?I may be mistaken but my system says i made the call.I usually do those on Fridays except a couple of weeks ago i was out of town a week and do not know what day i caught up with my calls.My e-mail is service@danddcycles.com and if there is anything you need help with,and you feel my employees are not taking proper care of it let me know asap. Remember our meetings at Golden corral the third Tuesday of every month,6:30 I will buy you dinner.Thanks for understanding and we will try to do better next time.Thanks Dink

Back