Triumph Service Survey

RocketDaryl

Top Fuel
Ride
2019 Indian Scout Sixty
Triumph New Purchase / Delivery Survey

I keep hearing about some factory survey regarding my purchase. I've been told by the dealer twice, when I took delivery of the bike and again in a thank you letter I received yesterday, that Triumph will be contacting me with a survey. The dealer seems to be pretty concerned about how I respond. Well sorry, but I'm going to speak my mind. Overall, I like the dealer and think they're nice folks and will say that, but they dropped the ball on my delivery and I fully intend to explain that, in detail, as well.

I purchased my bike on a Friday. It was getting later in the day (around 3:00) so, even though I live 50 miles away and will now put another 100 miles on my car, I agreed to pick up the bike Saturday at Noon. Actually, I said I would be there sometime around 11:00 or 12:00 and they said OK, so as far as I'm concerned the bike should've been ready at 11:00. Well, I get there and it's not ready. I end up having to sit around there until close to 2:00.

They finally get it ready (so they say) and go through the customer delivery checklist, the one where they go through the controls, and I hop on to leave. I didn't get 100 feet out of the parking lot before I realised I needed to adjust the mirrors so I reached to adjust the left and it just pushed out. It was loose. I go back and they come back a few minutes later. It's still loose. WTF? They take it back again. 15 minutes later the owner brings it back. OK, it's good now.

I start riding home and notice the handle bars are crooked. Jeesh. I also notice the bike was wabbling at decel for lights, etc... My first thought was steering head bearing (the usual culprit). I get home, wait a few hours and check the tire pressures, just in case that was the issue with the wabble. Yup, they were 6 and 8 pounds light. Now, do you think the air just evaporated in 50 miles? Of course not. They weren't checked during "dealer prep". I guess crooked handlebars and loose mirrors aren't part of the $225 dealer prep either. I was pissed about the tires. That's a major safety issue and could've potentially cost me my life!

The bars weren't too bad (more of an annoyance than anything) so I decided to wait, in lieu of doing it myself, and make them do it at the first service. They should've checked it to begin with when they "prep'd" the bike. If you're going to charge $225 for bike prep then you need to do what you're being paid to do.

As far as I'm concerned, all 3 of these issues are safety issues, with the tires being a serious safety issue. Bottom line, if I do receive this phantom survey I keep hearing about, you can bet I'm going to speak my mind about my experience.

We pay good money for these bikes and part of the purchase price is for dealer prep, which means the **** thing needs to be ready to ride when you say you'll have it ready. It also means you actually perform the procedures outlined on the checklist, not just pencil whip your way through it.

I expect this kind of crap out of HD and wouldn't waste my time filling out their survey because I'm certain they don't give a rats behind whether or not you're happy. I hope Triumph isn't like that and I hope they take these things seriously.

Last edited:
The survey takes a while to get there but it will come. I had the same concern about the survey from the dealer. I bought the Rocket and then went back and bought a Speedmaster for my bride, my daughter came with me and bought a Bonneville, then I took Pete over who bought his 2007 Rocket Touring. All were not ready when promised and I (and the others) put that on the survey when it came through.

Anyway, back to the dealer concern . . .The dealer explained that if they had good ratings they would get special deals and offers they could pass on to us . . . yet to see much. When I bought the first bike It was nice because Dink was an old friend from years ago, Deb went to school with Julie and it was a good, friendly environment. Now . . . well, lets just say it doesnt seem the same since I purchased most of my accessories somewhere else . . mainly because 20% - 30% difference is a LOT. If I were offered the same from them, they'd be cashing my checks instead of a shop down the street . . . or even Houston. The final straw was when I was told that they wouldnt mount my tire if I bought it from anyone else than them. That was when I was going to put a Metz back on it.

Enough of my ranting . . i guess your post just lit my fuse.

I think the survey comes after 1 year of ownership? At least the one that registers you for the drawing for a free bike. I have also done a JD Power survey for Triumph.

It's not just Triumph dealers.

It's not just Triumph dealers, it all dealers (well maybe not the Nissan dealer Tomo works for...that may be an exception). Anyway.

I've been riding the KLR with a fellow I met on the KLR forum. Is a few years younger than I and lives about 5 miles from here. It's interesting by the way, Lots of older people own KLR's and lots of people that had HD's own KLR's too. Got off track again....

He takes his KLR into the dealer for service (KLR's need a valve clearance check at 600 miles, plus an oil and filter change). He picks the bike up and starts home. Gets 3 miles from the dealership and the engine locks up. They forgot to put any oil in it. Engine is junk. Gets it towed back to the dealer and gets accused by the dealer that he ran it out of oil.....Yeah, 3 quarts in 3 miles.

My friend is no dummy. He's a manager at Cabelas just north of here. College educated, very quiet and reserved...I can't envision him loosing his temper but...after they told him he ran it out of oil......he asked them if they had security cameras in the shop area to which they replied...of course. Reviewing the tape revealed a technician draining the oil, replacing the filter, adjusting the valves, getting up and leaving for lunch, coming back and tightening the fill plug then pushing the bike to the side, never running it, nothing.

He got a brand new bike.

Survey

These surveys have a lot to do with commission levels and the percentage of kick back the dealer gets. The local Chevy dealer practically begged me after I bought my Silverado to write a good review for them. If a person is named in the review as highly positive, good things and money happen for all. If you don't care for someone a negative named person will be in hot water as everybody piece comes out of one pie. Make the pie smaller is viewed as a bad thing by all.

2. things:

1. I had a telephone call from Triumph and they did a survey with me over the phone. Don't know if this is the one I was told to expect but it happened 3 months after purchase.

2. Dealer experience. My experience with SoCal Triumph in Brea California was awesome! All the way through. I bought the bike off the show room floor which meant it didn't even have fluids in it. I was told it'd be ready between 2 and 3 hours. So the wife and I went and had lunch and walked around the local mall, had a coffee etc. We got back at the 2 hour and 45 minute mark (roughly). 20 minutes later they were giving me the run-down on my brand new baby!

Before I rode away they had me ride circles around the dealership to be sure I was comfortable with everything. And I was indeed.

Sorry you had such a bad time of it.

I probably should have added this......

Agricultrial equipment dealers and manufacturers are different. I go and buy a new Kubota (I'm on my 7th Kubota right now) and every tractor I've bought from Kubota through an authorized dealer, I always get a customer satisfaction questionaire. I always fill them out and Kubota always follows up with a phone call. I've had a couple inconsequential warranty issues, a hydraulic leak and a leaking weld on a fuel tank. Both were taken care of promptly, a loaner tractor was delivered (no charge) and after the repair was made, Kubota followed up with a phone call to make sure I was staisified not only with the service but the attitude of the dealer.

My present unit is developing a noisy valve train. It's 3 years old and the warranty is 2 years. I've made the dealer aware of the issue, they are coming out next week with the factory rep to look at the tractor. I've already been assured by the dealer, that if the engine is faulty, Kubota will stand behind the tractor 100%, even out of warranty, at no cost to me.

Motor vehicle dealers and manufacturers should have that attitude. Needless to say, I'd run nothing but Kubota Tractors. Manufacturers develop loyalty by going above and beyond after the sale because if they don't, that will be the last sale for that customer.

I know what you mean . . . I have dealt with the John Deere dealer in Crestview for many years, bought tractors, mowers, saws . . and other implements of destruction and when I walk in the owner comes to say hello . . remembers my name and asks how everything is doing. If there is a problem they drive out with a trailer and truck, pick it up and bring it back to me. I bought a gator a couple of years ago from them and was going to wait until another check (it was in the mail:)) was coming to me . . . I went home and the gator was delivered anyway with a note from the owner to just come in next week and pay for it and thanks for the business.

As for the Triumph dealer here . . I'm not saying that the dealership is bad or anything, I do like the folks there and would still recommend them. I just think that sales dept. (I'll have it done in an hour) is writing checks that service cant cash and it makes for a bad feeling for the customer. And as for the tire issue . . thats just not right. Seems to me making something from a sale is better than making nothing from a sale to someone else. I just dont understand the all or nothing mentality that is in many businesses these days. The internet is here to stay and they need to roll with the punches. In the dive business we would meet any price on in-stock, same stock number merchandise. That way we would get the sale, customer was happy and then we would have them back in the store for future sales and service.

Last edited:
Back