Transmission went south

@sonny This discussion reminds me of my own angst watching the videos of the amazing progress at SpaceX with the Starship development in Boca Chica, Texas (and elsewhere).

Or just yesterday, I was behind a Lamborghini (only as long as he was stuck in traffic) and amazed at how low it sat, and the decel pop obviously intended by the constructor, and how I could no longer imagine owning one.

You said you've followed the wonderful descriptive history of @R-III-R Turbo 's development of his stroker and six-speed gear.

As yet, the 6th gear exists only as polymer printed parts you see in the videos.

Several people have contacted Robinson (I've spoken to him several times) asking him to set up to make the parts (there are only three, and even he says they're not complicated).

My hope is that you contacting him could push him over the edge of making the parts.

The only less-than-obvious aspect of this, is that R-III-R Turbo having made the investment to develop the intellectual property, he has requested Robinson to acknowledge the license. Robinson has not responded to this. He hasn't said 'no'. He just hasn't responded.

I suggest you call Robinson on a weekday morning, mid-morning, and when you reach him, be as cordial as you can, and let him know you have money to put down on the 6th gear kit, which you would like to have back with the rest of your transmission parts - letting him know in the process your bike with 68,000 miles has "bit the fourth", and you're looking for his excellent treatment of the shafts, undercut gears, and larger circlips. And in case he didn't hear it the first time, you'd like the 6th gear parts added to your parts that he ships back.

And remind him, there are four more (or so) orders waiting for the 6th gear parts (which, like yours, will be a complete makeover with undercut gears, billet 4th - he supplies - shafts fitted with larger circlips facing the right way).

Let us know what you find.

For the stroker part - R-III-R Turbo has that running. Just contact him, and y'all can come to some agreement I'm sure that will get you the parts and his beautiful instructions.

All the BEST to you !

You make a good point. My concern is reliability. I have built super Harleys in the past that are only good for about 20,000 miles. When I rebuild the X not if mind you i need some reliability for the next 50,000 miles plus. If the man in the tin shed can work with R-III and give me the reliability for 50,000 miles i am game. Would like nothing better then to shut up the bull on here about the new Rocket. You have to remember i am not a weekend rider. I ride every day.
Not any more, unless you have a spare bike still! Your either gonna put some miles on the Fiat or buy a beater while you use your $30,000 to build a monster X.

Goodluck my Flamin' Toad dropped 4th gear before I bought it remotely sight unseen:(. Open your sump and have a look at what bits are in the bottom and screens. Likely to look like this too.

As advised by @warp9.9 it is the 4th gear like yours and his below.
Looks like fourth gear has gave up!!!!!
Let me look for a better picture so you can compare

yep here ya go you might find bits that look familiar

100_6948.jpg

Not any more, unless you have a spare bike still! Your either gonna put some miles on the Fiat or buy a beater while you use your $30,000 to build a monster X.

Goodluck my Flamin' Toad dropped 4th gear before I bought it remotely sight unseen:(. Open your sump and have a look at what bits are in the bottom and screens. Likely to look like this too.

As advised by @warp9.9 it is the 4th gear like yours and his below.

100_6948.jpg
Pfffft....that was broken by an amateur...i had 4 gears in that condition in my last tear down :roll::roll::roll:

@sonny bad luck mate but as you've already realised from crisis comes opportunity! Hope the rebuild goes well :thumbsup:

Yes the first thing I would do is drop the sump pan for inspection and clean out of any bits in the bottom. You don't want to have that spreading around while you're rolling the engine over to split it. After you clean it just put it back in place with a few of the bolts finger tight. As for the transmission failure my bet is a forced cir-clip move ment and then gear wondering on the shaft. I'd drop it fix it and put it back in. And yes I would be sending the shafts to Robinson's. Anything else and she will be down a while.

Forth gear is gone. Just spent about $700.00 dollars on maintenance parts from Hermy"s. Looks like am getting ready to spend a lot more. Will shift easy from first to second. No problem shifting into third. Going into forth different story. Grind to the max. Got her home riding in third gear. Not going to work today. Called in and really disappointed. Have a good idea am going to be pulling the motor and split the cases. Any input on what went wrong would be appreciated. Phone number to Robertson transmission folks would be appreciated. Might as well get the gears cut. Looks like am fixing to get very busy.
Maybe a circlip popped out of it’s groove. About the only way two gears can engage at the same time Been there, done that. Get the full Monty with Robinson Ind. Back cut the dogs, widen the circlip grooves, and get the improved fourth gear upgrade. Mine is really nice now.

9253A463-9772-4775-BC3D-AC8DBFE5AADE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting over it. No warning signs at all. It just took a dump. Glad it happened close to home. Taking a deep breath and carrying on.
Sonny, you mentioned getting $700.00 bucks worth of maintenance parts before this happened.....what were those parts and did you install them before this happened? Any possible cause/effect between those parts and the gear problem? Good luck Buddy, will watch with great interest. 🙏:)

Nope the parts are on order. Planning on replacing All fork seals and change fluid. Valve check is up. Ordered everything for that new gasket and new bolts along with seals and washers. Gas filter needs to be changed so ordered all that stuff to. Went ahead since winter is coming decided to order another stepper motor. Odds and ends with nuts and bolts. Plus new cam tensioners along with that arm that the clutch operates. Now i guess we take it a step further. New hoses for the intake.

Back