Transmission went south

Forth gear is gone. Just spent about $700.00 dollars on maintenance parts from Hermy"s. Looks like am getting ready to spend a lot more. Will shift easy from first to second. No problem shifting into third. Going into forth different story. Grind to the max. Got her home riding in third gear. Not going to work today. Called in and really disappointed. Have a good idea am going to be pulling the motor and split the cases. Any input on what went wrong would be appreciated. Phone number to Robertson transmission folks would be appreciated. Might as well get the gears cut. Looks like am fixing to get very busy.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but the good news is that great help is available. My 2014 R3R began dropping from 4th to 3rd by itself shortly after I had the engine Carpenterized. Since I purchased the base 210HP kit, they didn't need to split the cases. My trans was in good working order, so I didn't go the extra mile to split the cases. But, after putting only about 300 miles on the Carpenter engine, I had to pull the engine to fix the trans. I shipped it to Carpenter and they tore it down, sent the trans to Robinson, then Carpenter reassembled it and shipped it back. Robinson upgraded the circlips, backcut gears, and installed their billet 4th gear. No one ever said what was wrong with it, but I suspect a circlip. Everything went like clockwork, not necessarily quick, but quality work can't be rushed. Just did a great ride this morning on mine with a gent and his new Rocket GT. As far as more power, different strokes for different folks. I haven't raced against a new Rocket, but I'm pretty sure I can outrun one with my 230HP and 170 ftlbs of torque at the rear wheel even though my bike is heavier. The other Carpenter kits offer a little more power but cost much more than the base kit because of the new pistons. The problem with chasing horsepower is that sometimes you lose torque which is one of the reasons I own a Rocket. I like the balance of the 210 kit for everyday riding and passing power. But too much torque can be a bad thing if the drive train can't handle it. Superchargers and turbos tend to greatly boost horsepower and torque. In 2010, Triumph increased the R3R torque by 15%. They also beefed up the drive train to handle that increase. What if you add 50% torque? Will things start breaking? Maybe someone has a Rocket that has long term success with that kind of increase. I'm confident that my Robinson enhanced trans will handle my Carpenter engine for the long haul. Good luck!

That's too bad, I remember reading these 1st gen Rockets may have tranny issues. I baby mine and it has less than 2K miles on it. I know I'm off topic, but what do you think of the new R3's?
They are alright I guess. Time will tell as people start racking up miles. If Triumph ever figures it out that a full touring model would sell and build such a animal I would have been in line yesterday for one.

They are alright I guess. Time will tell as people start racking up miles. If Triumph ever figures it out that a full touring model would sell and build such a animal I would have been in line yesterday for one.

Looking at it from a purely business perspective it only makes sense that they would do just that. When the original R3 started to sell well they leveraged the platform with the R3T. It seems that most complaints about the R3T was that it didn't go far enough to compete with other full on touring models. The new models seem to be even more popular out of the gate than the original models were, so it only makes sense that they would once again leverage the money spent on developing the new bike to follow up with other platforms. Time will tell.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but the good news is that great help is available. My 2014 R3R began dropping from 4th to 3rd by itself shortly after I had the engine Carpenterized. Since I purchased the base 210HP kit, they didn't need to split the cases. My trans was in good working order, so I didn't go the extra mile to split the cases. But, after putting only about 300 miles on the Carpenter engine, I had to pull the engine to fix the trans. I shipped it to Carpenter and they tore it down, sent the trans to Robinson, then Carpenter reassembled it and shipped it back. Robinson upgraded the circlips, backcut gears, and installed their billet 4th gear. No one ever said what was wrong with it, but I suspect a circlip. Everything went like clockwork, not necessarily quick, but quality work can't be rushed. Just did a great ride this morning on mine with a gent and his new Rocket GT. As far as more power, different strokes for different folks. I haven't raced against a new Rocket, but I'm pretty sure I can outrun one with my 230HP and 170 ftlbs of torque at the rear wheel even though my bike is heavier. The other Carpenter kits offer a little more power but cost much more than the base kit because of the new pistons. The problem with chasing horsepower is that sometimes you lose torque which is one of the reasons I own a Rocket. I like the balance of the 210 kit for everyday riding and passing power. But too much torque can be a bad thing if the drive train can't handle it. Superchargers and turbos tend to greatly boost horsepower and torque. In 2010, Triumph increased the R3R torque by 15%. They also beefed up the drive train to handle that increase. What if you add 50% torque? Will things start breaking? Maybe someone has a Rocket that has long term success with that kind of increase. I'm confident that my Robinson enhanced trans will handle my Carpenter engine for the long haul. Good luck!
Can we see your dyno sheet its sunday and all about racing today and all things racing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 24
Looked at MR Hunts post on lifting the bike along with R-III-R turbo's pics. Believe a one ton Pittsburgh automotive in the front and one in the back strapped up as R-III-R Turbo's showed in his pics should work. At $189.99 apiece it is reasonable. I do have a very nice yellow floor jack or ATV jack from sears supporting the engine is taken care of. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I use a engine hoist for frame, and Pittsburgh motorcycle lift for engine, the hoist allows me to lift bike off engine and pivot the frame if needed like when installing engine. Lots of ways to skin that cat

Attachments

• EFC6A898-E634-4AEE-864D-BB161613CC64.png
    EFC6A898-E634-4AEE-864D-BB161613CC64.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 5C9A172C-38C6-4B95-87AA-EDA0DAFE7F47.png
    5C9A172C-38C6-4B95-87AA-EDA0DAFE7F47.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 38
Well written ands I agree with everything except a teensy bit at the end.
" In 2010, Triumph increased the R3R torque by 15%. They also beefed up the drive train to handle that increase. What if you add 50% torque? Will things start breaking? "

I think that was 'achieved' the same way we all do.. tweaks to tune, exhaust system etc but I have never heard or seen any sign of a 'beefed' up drive train.

Will things start breaking when you add say 50%? Thats a big number that only a few ever get too, i think troubles for stock start 170 180 range? so far 160 seems safe, will soon find out i think where an 08 touring lets go :rolleyes::evil:

Last edited:
Well written ands I agree with everything except a teensy bit at the end.
" In 2010, Triumph increased the R3R torque by 15%. They also beefed up the drive train to handle that increase. What if you add 50% torque? Will things start breaking? "

I think that was 'achieved' the same way we all do.. tweaks to tune, exhaust system etc but I have never heard or seen any sign of a 'beefed' up drive train.
I would like to know what beefing up of the drive train (if any) they did? I also would like some of what you're smoking :D

Back