Transmission shafts circlips: correct orientation of ?

Martin-Brighton-uk

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Roadster in HOK Burgundy Candy
I'm in the process of rebuilding my input and output transmission shafts and have new circlips. I would like to confirm correct orientation as I am reading conflicting ways that they should go around, flat size vs rounded side. From wikipedia I see this diagram attached that show the 'flat' side towards the item that could push on it, but other sources say the other way around.

@warp9.9 ?

Attachments

• External_Snap_Ring_Orientation.jpg
    External_Snap_Ring_Orientation.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 48
Hi Martin,
I have been following your post on your gearbox problem.
Are you just replacing with OEM parts.

Hi Martin,No problem mate..
I am doing the update kit on my 2007...Doing the torsional damper bearings at the moment...
The bearing was installed the wrong way around...Caught them before they did any damage..

Hope your rebuild is going ok..

Hi @ant Just noticed you're in West Sussex too. I moved out of Brighton a few years ago now, I'm near Horsham. Did you come out on the R3 meet at Whiteways and ride to Destination Triumph in Wickham?

I took the torsional damper out in one piece and it looked okay but I will take some close up photos to see how it is. Would it be obvious if the bearing was the wrong way around?

Hi @ant Just noticed you're in West Sussex too. I moved out of Brighton a few years ago now, I'm near Horsham. Did you come out on the R3 meet at Whiteways and ride to Destination Triumph in Wickham?

I took the torsional damper out in one piece and it looked okay but I will take some close up photos to see how it is. Would it be obvious if the bearing was the wrong way around?
Hi Martin,Yes i was there on that ride and my brother came along too...It was great to put faces to names.. Hopefully we can all do another ride out in the near future..
My rocket is a 2007 and never had the update kit fitted..The original large bearing was open both sides now the updated bearings are sealed.The smaller bearing has a shield
on one side and that's the bearing that gets fitted the wrong was around..The photo of mine shows it is fitted the wrong way around.
WP_20210124_007.jpg

Hi Martin,Yes i was there on that ride and my brother came along too...It was great to put faces to names.. Hopefully we can all do another ride out in the near future..
My rocket is a 2007 and never had the update kit fitted..The original large bearing was open both sides now the updated bearings are sealed.The smaller bearing has a shield
on one side and that's the bearing that gets fitted the wrong was around..The photo of mine shows it is fitted the wrong way around.
WP_20210124_007.jpg
You are right sir that front bearing is in backwards. If the rear is not doulbe sealed and grease packed you should change it also. I you don't I fear you will be tearing ot down again. I believe the oil wasn't migrating as the Engineers thought it would. Which is why the changed the rear to a packed bearing.
Hope this helps.

You are right sir that front bearing is in backwards. If the rear is not doulbe sealed and grease packed you should change it also. I you don't I fear you will be tearing ot down again. I believe the oil wasn't migrating as the Engineers thought it would. Which is why the changed the rear to a packed bearing.
Hope this helps.
I am in the process of installing the engine update kit..I did start a thread asking for advice on the torsional damper bearing and luckily R-III-R Turbo replied
with some great photos covering the replacement of the bearings..The bearing didn't feel too bad until i cleaned them with petrol.

Back