Trailering the RIII

Sorry if this has been covered before; I didn't find much while searching.
I've never trailered my RIII before. However I'll be taking it with me on some motorhome excursions, in an enclosed trailer.

Looking for advice for tying her down. Some folk suggest securing low enough to not involve the suspension, other people suggest otherwise. The front fork shields make me think securing below the suspension on the RIII probably doesn't work, leaving the lower triple tree as the most likely spot.

I appreciate any input. :)
I've trailered mine out of the snow in the Northeast twice to ride in Florida - about 3000 miles each trip. First tried unsprung attachment points - bike is too heavy and the straps lossened up really fast - even with a really good wheel chock. Now I run straps from the handlebars and the crash bars in front to two heavy rings in the floor. I also run from the crash bars in the rear to rings in the back as well - it keeps the back of the bike from hopping around (which it will do after 20* hours at highway speed).

I strap mine to the crash bars front and rear. I then put a strap around the Harbor Freight chock through the wheel slots. I case you lose a strap, ( unhook or break some how,) This will keep the bike from flopping too much before you can stop. Always carry extra straps. Don't tie down at the handlebars. Although this is the best way to keep the bike real steady, Changing fork seals is a JOB.

I used Harbor Freight wheel chocks for my dirt bikes, Honda Shadow and the R3T without a problem.

Until; I checked on the bike in the trailer after a trip from Michigan to Pittsburgh, PA and found the the bike leaning over and one of the front straps loose! The Harbor Freight chock had failed. The tubing snapped in the middle of the "Loop"! :eek: The bike didn't go over because I strap the back down from the pannier guards to a floor D-ring. I use 4 Powertye Fat Straps.

I had to buy another one to get the bike home, but as soon as I got home I bought a Condor Trailer Chock. Very heavy duty! I am not going to take the chance of a chock failing again. I needed something I could trust. I also use it on the lift table.

My purpose for replying is not to criticize, but to share my experience.

Trailer Only Chock
▪ TRAILER KITS :: 1½" FAT STRAP TRAILER KIT - POWERTYE AMERICAN MADE TIE-DOWNS AND ACCESSORIES

You are going to ride in Mexico?!?!?! :eek:
done it before why not do it again ?? went to the copper canyon from guaymas spent a week riding never had a problem even though I was riding a H-D fatboy

This sounds great can you add some pics of your set up,i need to transport my bike soon as this may be for me ,Cheers
Pedro
here is my modified system a piece of plywood 4x8 with a wheel choke bolted in front so when I roll the front wheel in, the bike align itself with the framelock ( very important you do want all the holes to align!!) I discarded the parts that mount on the HD and made two pieces of steel with holes, small holes match the R3 frame holes, bottom holes match the big locking pin first I bolt the steel plates to frame via small hole on the OUTSIDE on both side not too tight yet ) then I align the bottom holes to the frame lock holes I insert the pin through framelock holes and plates hanging from the bike frame till it protude on the other side put a padlock on the end of locking pin so nobody can steal the bike tighten the upper bolts put the cotter pin in and that is all no straps no bouncing no problems , the bike is locked to the bed of my truck via the frame lock , the Right side steel plate( right side of bike when ridden) has to be machined a bit to match the frame hole surrounding , took me an hour with a grinder to match the plate to the frame ( because of a protruding bolt next to the hole) those plate MUST be flush with the frame NO wiggling LEFT TO RIGHT and bolted tight I had to add some spacing washers on the upper part of the steel plates to make sure the steel plates were perfectly vertical ( otherwise it wont let the locking pin through) . I also drilled safety hole through the bolts used on the top and placed cotter pins through each bolts for vibration protection

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
done it before why not do it again ?? went to the copper canyon from guaymas spent a week riding never had a problem even though I was riding a H-D fatboy

I have spent a month or two for many years in Mexico and have driven a lot there.
I've given much thought to riding down there.
With the invisible topas, narrow congested roads and stupid pedestrians, I think it would be VERY dangerous.
Even with the required special insurance, me thinks your ass is hanging WAY OUT.
Just my thoughts and I could be correct. :D :rolleyes:

I've rented a uhaul a couple of times and used the highway bars, and pannier bars on each side, just a strap on each kept it rock solid.

One over the top of the seat was used the first time, but was really superfluous.

Given its a fairly big heavy bike it doesn't bounce around that easily.

I think the uhaul was only $30 or so for the day. No mileage charge on trailers.

I used Harbor Freight wheel chocks for my dirt bikes, Honda Shadow and the R3T without a problem.

Until; I checked on the bike in the trailer after a trip from Michigan to Pittsburgh, PA and found the the bike leaning over and one of the front straps loose! The Harbor Freight chock had failed. The tubing snapped in the middle of the "Loop"! :eek: The bike didn't go over because I strap the back down from the pannier guards to a floor D-ring. I use 4 Powertye Fat Straps.

I had to buy another one to get the bike home, but as soon as I got home I bought a Condor Trailer Chock. Very heavy duty! I am not going to take the chance of a chock failing again. I needed something I could trust. I also use it on the lift table.

My purpose for replying is not to criticize, but to share my experience.

Trailer Only Chock
▪ TRAILER KITS :: 1½" FAT STRAP TRAILER KIT - POWERTYE AMERICAN MADE TIE-DOWNS AND ACCESSORIES
I was kinda worried when i bought the Harbor Freight chokes for my bikes, , now im surprised of how well built they are, unlike their power tools,

I have spent a month or two for many years in Mexico and have driven a lot there.
I've given much thought to riding down there.
With the invisible topas, narrow congested roads and stupid pedestrians, I think it would be VERY dangerous.
Even with the required special insurance, me thinks your ass is hanging WAY OUT.
Just my thoughts and I could be correct. :D :rolleyes:
well it is always a roll of the dice I suppose, but maybe I have been lucky so far
for tope I look on the side of roads when I see people selling stuff I know there is one the only worry I had was when I had the motorhome and fake cops would stop rigs for so called road check

well it is always a roll of the dice I suppose, but maybe I have been lucky so far
for tope I look on the side of roads when I see people selling stuff I know there is one the only worry I had was when I had the motorhome and fake cops would stop rigs for so called road check

IF you chose to do it - be VERY careful, Amigo! :eek: :thumbsdown:

Back