Trailering the RIII

jaredmt

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster
Sorry if this has been covered before; I didn't find much while searching.
I've never trailered my RIII before. However I'll be taking it with me on some motorhome excursions, in an enclosed trailer.

Looking for advice for tying her down. Some folk suggest securing low enough to not involve the suspension, other people suggest otherwise. The front fork shields make me think securing below the suspension on the RIII probably doesn't work, leaving the lower triple tree as the most likely spot.

I appreciate any input. :)

I strap mine to the crash bars front and rear. I then put a strap around the Harbor Freight chock through the wheel slots. I case you lose a strap, ( unhook or break some how,) This will keep the bike from flopping too much before you can stop. Always carry extra straps. Don't tie down at the handlebars. Although this is the best way to keep the bike real steady, Changing fork seals is a JOB.

I usually go around the lower triple tree, and the top of the rear shock. It doesn't need to be strapped down nearly as much as most people think. I've never blown a fork seal.
I agree with using a good wheel chock. And yes Harbor Freight has great prices on them.

Do not be like me, I trailer 'd my bike to a few of the RAA meets to use as an extra back up vehicle well the first time I ever trailer' d my bike the bloody thing looked like a spiders web I had so many straps wrapped around it:roll: I thought people were admiring my bike on the freeway but they were probably laughing at me.:eek:

I have a wheel chock up front in my trailer and two anchor rings on each side up front. I anchor mine from the crash bar just above my highway pegs or where the bar is achored to the frame. I use some short nylon pieces that have loops a both ends to lace around the crash bar before anchoring with tie downs to the rings I have in my trailer. The rings are anchored to the trailer frame "not the floor". I also anchor on the rear crash the same way up where they mount and tie down to some side rings. You have to use those little short piece of nylon strapping for lacing around to do it right. I made a wooden chock that blocks the rear tire and prevents it from hopping side to side and also blocks the rear tire from the moving backwards. The blocking board bolts to the floor with to 7/16 bolts screwed into t-nut that I mounted to a board under the trailer.

And just for good measure as a backup, I usually remove my windscreen and tie down to the handlebars (which is suppose to be a no, no) but I don't put much tie down stress in the bars and shocks. Most of the tie down pull is on the front crash bars pulling forward and rear crash bars suporting side to side. The rear tire block to prevent wheel hop is important in my opinion.

I know it's overkill and I could get by with a lot less, but can't imagine the sickening feeling I would have if I found my bike dumped over inside my trailer.

I only use the lower triple clamp and a good front wheel chock

image.jpeg

Me too...the whole idea of a trailer queen just turns my stomach...though I know there may be practical reasons to do it.

Me too...the whole idea of a trailer queen just turns my stomach...though I know there may be practical reasons to do it.

Go ahead and let your stomach turn! Try getting that puppy to a dealer who's 2 hours away without a trailer. I only trailered mine twice and that was from and then back to the dealer for a repair. Also, if I have a schedule appointment and it's pouring down rain, it ain't gonna happen without using my trailer. The trailer also serves as the garage for my bike...no room in the real garage. :roll:

Back