Bud you don't have to suck the oil out of the tank. The forward left drain plug is for the tank. The rear left goes into the rear sump screen and the front right (kind of below the oil filter) goes into the front sump screen. As for which bolt hole on the tank it should only line up with one after the two main important bolts are snugged down. The little upper 6mm bolt goes into a rubber vibration damper bushing. While you are at it check the cam cover gasket especially on the oil tank side. If its leaking down the head are thru the spark plug weep holes it could make it look like the tank was leaking. I'm not sure if you've had the cam cover up or not
I'll look at my bike for that bolt location when I get back from church.

Last edited:
Ok I got under my bike cover and looked the upper hole is where my tank is mounted. The bottom one is empty I can not tell you what its for maybe the early oil tank mount. I wish I was home I'd go look at my 05. At any rate I can not see you getting the mount and the lower bolt hole lined up unless the early tank is a wee bit different. Again wishing I was near all my Rocket stuff instead of 1000 miles away. :(

Thanks warp 9.9.

I have a big sucky thing to get the oil out was quicker than removing drain plug.

Cam cover gasket was replaced when I started to have the bad oil leak and TPS problems, any chance this is causing back pressure on the oring.

Thanks warp 9.9.

I have a big sucky thing to get the oil out was quicker than removing drain plug.

Cam cover gasket was replaced when I started to have the bad oil leak and TPS problems, any chance this is causing back pressure on the oring.
No changing the cam cover gasket so it doesn't leak will not cause excessive pressure on the O-ring it would probably puke in the air box thru the crank case vent. Really excessive pressure say from breaking a piston or two would blow the oil cap off the tank and make a mess (don't ask me how I know X 2 ) :(

I can say I have changed the cam cover gasket and did not pay enough attention and squoze a bit of the gasket out on the oil tank side. which looked like a oil tank leak to me but well upon closer look I realized I _ucked up :D

That's why I thought I would mention it.

A couple other questions
Does it leak when its just sitting there (not running)?
Can you tell if its leaking from the front port or rear?

Hi Warp9.9.

It did not leak while sitting. With out starting.

Start bike 2 days later then oil leaked. Pretty sure it just continue to leak after shut down.

Coming out if the front port.

I will get some pictures once I pull it off again

Hi Warp9.9.

It did not leak while sitting. With out starting.

Start bike 2 days later then oil leaked. Pretty sure it just continue to leak after shut down.

Coming out if the front port.

I will get some pictures once I pull it off again
ok I know its late so the next time your out there take a look in the air filter box see if there is any oil in the bottom of it other then maybe vapor mist.

oh and thats if you still venting the crank case to it. Some switch to a little filter on the back when they go with after market air filters.

Thanks warp 9.9.

Language please (can I borrow the big sucky thing for a wee while):D

Back