image.jpeg
Riding is riding, BTW, i love this pic

2013-06-18 19.00.49.jpg
Now I like all bikes including my current Harleys and have thick skin so fire away!! Its kind of fun being so despised...I feel like Trump!! :p
Hmmm, unlike Trump, we don't discriminate, we will bash all bikes.:laugh:. Doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you enjoy it....I have a Harley in my garage too........HOWEVER, it's my wife's:rolleyes:.

I like some of the HD's. I had a '13 Softail Breakout that I sold a year or so ago to a friend. Got lots of attention and pretty fun to ride. I use a '13 Ultra Limited as a commuter (~ 100 miles a day) for a couple of reasons: I have a radio so I can listen to AM talk shows and keep up with traffic issues on the freeways, it has a tour pack on it so my computer stays dry when it rains, hard side saddle bags to store all my riding gear when not on the bike, the seat is air adjustable on the fly, it has an electronic cruise control and the best one...it keeps the miles off my Rockets. I've ridden a few different bikes and they all have their own allure...even the 1945 BMW knock off (complete with side car) I rode in China. D@mn thing made me feel like I was in an episode of Hogan's Heroes every time I crawled on it. I am currently looking for another Ultra Limited to turn into a long distance bike for the Iron Butt Rally next year. I've done Iron Butt rides on a Rocket, but the tires won't hold up to a ~15,000 mile distance race so HD it is.

See Tex, you are the exact HD owner I can appreciate and have love for. The guy who gets what they are for, cruising, eating miles, and the practicality of enormous storage space on the Ultras with all the comfort bells and whistles. They do, in all honestly, fill a niche role and they do it really well, but they could do it so much better if they would embrace water cooling, over head cams, and a few changes in the bottom end of the motors.

At 100 miles a day commute I don't think I'd take the rocket either, I'd almost certainly pick up a Trophy 1300, Goldwing, or BMW K1300S.

See Tex, you are the exact HD owner I can appreciate and have love for. The guy who gets what they are for, cruising, eating miles, and the practicality of enormous storage space on the Ultras with all the comfort bells and whistles. They do, in all honestly, fill a niche role and they do it really well, but they could do it so much better if they would embrace water cooling, over head cams, and a few changes in the bottom end of the motors.

At 100 miles a day commute I don't think I'd take the rocket either, I'd almost certainly pick up a Trophy 1300, Goldwing, or BMW K1300S.

Agree about the motor. I've been looking at a RevTech replacement for the upcoming build but still undecided. It will also have the back seat removed and replaced with a 5 gal auxiliary fuel tank to cut down on fuel stops. Probably look sorta bastardized and kinda goofy, but it will be built for a specific purpose and winning beauty contests ain't what I have in mind.

I ride over a hundred miles a day. The Rocket X is perfect for the road I ride. Even at 57 years old I see no need for all the comforts. I buy bikes to ride not to set around and look pretty. The Rocket X has gone 16,000 miles in six months without even one problem. The Harley on the other hand at 16,000 miles had already been back three times to the dealer for warranty repairs. Which to my surprise two of the repairs were done incorrectly. Even now I tell myself gee we have got to take the Harley out and at least run the oil but instead we take the Rocket X to work. My car which is a three year old fiat abarth has 18,000 miles on it. Yes indeed after reading your last post I fully believe that it is more than likely time for a build. Check out the S&S 111 it is a strong motor with a decent stroke. That is one motor which is built to ride. Several of my friends have over 50,000 on that engine and have had very little problems. Of course you have to up grade the fuel system and the primary but they have had far less problems with that built vice the stock motor. The Rocket X Just makes me smile a lot more. THANKS TRIUMPH.;););)

Last edited:
but they could do it so much better if they would embrace water cooling
They are starting, the small 500's are apparently liquid cooled, my buddy bought one of the semi liquid cooled mount rushmore ones that cool the exhaust ports, he is posted in Cuba, says there is not much of a difference in the heat out-put. The company I work for is currently constructing a building that Indian will be moving into, hope to get my wife to try a liquid cooled Scout when they open.

They are starting, the small 500's are apparently liquid cooled, my buddy bought one of the semi liquid cooled mount rushmore ones that cool the exhaust ports, he is posted in Cuba, says there is not much of a difference in the heat out-put. The company I work for is currently constructing a building that Indian will be moving into, hope to get my wife to try a liquid cooled Scout when they open.
I recently had a trip to Vegas. Nine of us rented H-D and Indians. I had a Chieftain. 3 of the Rushmore bikes broke down during our trip. All of the 9 bikes were new with less than 10K miles on them. Not very impressed in the new H-D technology so far. I think this faux liquid cooling is an attempt to ease the H-D crowd into a more common sense approach to engine technology. We'll see. The Chieftain (air cooled too) by the way was very comfortable, powerful, and felt very light. Ugly as sin and everything rattled but the drive train, brakes and seating were excellent.

Back