Tough going into #1st gear?

geno

Supercharged
Ride
2005 triumph rocket 3
I have a 2005 r3 and i have been having a bit of trouble going into 1st gear, was wondering if it is a simple clutch adjustment, "I hope! "Thanks guys and Be Safe"

Could be the adjustment. If it has the 2 to 3 mm free play and won't rease the clutch enought the most likely the lifter shaft is burnt. Once burnt ir has lodt material and will not lift the clutch open no matter how much you adjust it. Keep adjusting and the shaft will break confirming it. In the picture below you can see the difference. Pretty cheap part and about 4 hours labor you first time. The shaft on the right is burnt
42097_e3ba549869e9981db94f8c82158d7813.jpg

There is a little technique involved in putting a Rocket in 1st. If you wait to long after pulling in the lever, the gear cluster will stop. If the first gear dogs aren't lighned up, it won't want to go into gear. I've taught myself to hit the shift lever at the same time the clutch lever contacts the handlebar, you then get a bit of a clunk, and know the gears are fully engaged.

I have a 2005 r3 and i have been having a bit of trouble going into 1st gear, was wondering if it is a simple clutch adjustment, "I hope! "Thanks guys and Be Safe"

Sometimes on my 06, I have to rock the bike or lightly load shifter and let out clutch to get into first at a stop. Also, doesn't like to downshift into first until slowed to appropriate speed. No other problems in any other gears.

Sometimes on my 06, I have to rock the bike or lightly load shifter and let out clutch to get into first at a stop. Also, doesn't like to downshift into first until slowed to appropriate speed. No other problems in any other gears.
On my 06, if she’s been standing for more than 10 seconds, I do a double clutch pull. If I don’t, it doesn’t go in with the usual positive engagement and feels very vague. I thought there was an issue but reading several posts on this forum, it seems to be a feature of this bike.

.........I do a double clutch pull. ..................

Thanks for the excuse to go riding tomorrow - I'll have to try this, never was a big fan of the way I was letting out clutch when shifter is loaded.

There is a little technique involved in putting a Rocket in 1st. If you wait to long after pulling in the lever, the gear cluster will stop. If the first gear dogs aren't lighned up, it won't want to go into gear. I've taught myself to hit the shift lever at the same time the clutch lever contacts the handlebar, you then get a bit of a clunk, and know the gears are fully engaged.
I'm going to try this; you don't think that it could be that detent spring do you? I haven't road the bike hard, and she only has around 3,000 miles on the clock! "Thanks Be Safe"

Back