1goindiesel

.020 Over
1st off this is a TR3 site so I get it, Harley sites are way worse with chuckleheads that think the world revolves around HD and ONLY HD, and many are true asshats...BUT..
You guys are also T O U G H on Harley owners... At one time all I wanted were Yamahas, from Banshees to V Max's and Maxims and Viragos' in between.Now I like all bikes including my current Harleys and have thick skin so fire away!! Its kind of fun being so despised...I feel like Trump!! :p Its kind of funny, the guys in my MC make fun of my other motorcycles and some wont even sit on my Rocket. Most though are the "tweeners" like myself that like the sport and the brotherhood way more than the make of machines.
It is fun though having ever more stuff to pick at each other about.

PS, No chaps or HD logos on me anymore, pay too much for these machines to advertise for them too.
Am LOATH to pay HD WAY TOO MUCH for service, wrench myself and use indy shops.

This is an awesome forum and its very cool that its an international crowd.
Thanks for having this wealth of information, it is very helpful to this Triumph noob.
My Rocket 3T is currently in for PCV and dyno tune, has TORS and a/f upgrade, very anxious to get the big girl back...

I think its a matter of opening your eyes to other bikes. I grew up on Kawasaki and Honda Dirt and street. I am still a diehard team Green guy. Infact we just added a 2013 636 to the garage today.

I have had several H-Ds but unlike the H-D only crowd I can clearly see the inferior or archaic engineering in the 2016 air cooled V-Twin market. I think you will find that most of the guys on this forum have the same history and experience as myself in that we have had several different manufactured bikes and can appreciate all types of bikes and riding styles.

I still have a Springer but haven't ridden it much since the R3R arrived. You are correct about the information from the folks here, it is world class.

I don't rip Harleys too much. I actually quite like a few of the sportsters and dynas (though at 6'2" few sportsters fit me). I still think they've hamstrung themselves with a dead-end engine design though. Big air cooled vtwins are the proverbial dead-man-walking. Yes, I know they've tried (vrods, the new 750/500 street models) but their customers seem to be having none of it.

One thing they do way better than pretty much any other bike manufacturer is paint. I think it's ridiculous that no one else offers more than one or maybe two colors/schemes for a given model of bike, while HD lets you pick from an even dozen or so...plus provisions for additional choices via special/custom orders, iirc. I mean, how badass would an R3R be decked out in British racing green with a solid white or checkerboard stripe down the center?

I don't rip Harleys too much. I actually quite like a few of the sportsters and dynas (though at 6'2" few sportsters fit me). I still think they've hamstrung themselves with a dead-end engine design though. Big air cooled vtwins are the proverbial dead-man-walking. Yes, I know they've tried (vrods, the new 750/500 street models) but their customers seem to be having none of it.

One thing they do way better than pretty much any other bike manufacturer is paint. I think it's ridiculous that no one else offers more than one or maybe two colors/schemes for a given model of bike, while HD lets you pick from an even dozen or so...plus provisions for additional choices via special/custom orders, iirc. I mean, how badass would an R3R be decked out in British racing green with a solid white or checkerboard stripe down the center?
YES nice paint but they charge crazy prices for it

You are pretty dead on. I look down on HD, as a brand, as a bike, and as a company. Many of the riders are really fun to hang around with, but they have a very big cross section of the snobby, ignorant types that couldn't change their own oil if their life depended on it who look down on other brands, when they have no right or reason to do so.

They do 1 thing well besides marketing, paint jobs, that's it IMO.

They sell foreign made, US assembled bikes and beat the "Made in the USA" drum pretty loudly.
They use obsolete designs and tout them as premium. Their technology is bottom of the barrel and has been for quite some time.
They really only make a handful of bikes with a ton of variants of each bike:
Soft-Tail
Dyna
Touring
Sporster
Vrod
Everything is basically a variant of the above models.
They're obscenely slow, handle like ****, have terrible brakes, can't corner, get bad mileage, and most of the owners embrace the thuggish gangster image the 1% crowd + Hollywood has created. Personally I find their 2 wheel land pirate antics hilarious.
They also tout the "screaming swallow" tuning brand like its some awesome thing. It's garbage, straight up. Their "stage" upgrades etc are ridiculously overpriced for the amount of performance returned.

EDIT: Forgot to add, **** CVO and their 30k+ price for a factory "custom" bike.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Wow, that's a tough one to follow.

My disdain of all things HD started when they petitioned the Reagan administration and was able to get a tariff imposed on imported bikes over 700cc. You think it was a coincidence the Japanese started making a ton of 699cc bikes? Even if the tarrif did not have that much to do with saving the company and it really led to some great small bike innovations from the Japanese, just the fact they wanted the .gov to save them from the imports rather than build a competitive bike irked me and it still does.

I have owned bike from every major motorcycle manufacturing country except India and I keep looking at the Royal Enfields they are turning out and thinking that would a neat bike to putt around on.

I ride with HDs, I attend all of the events at the HD store (and park the Rocket by the front door) and I even enjoy test riding the bikes, but I will never buy one.

bob

After riding a 2010 fatboy for the last five years (still have it) and racking up 85,000 miles on it. My take on the Harley crowd and image is rather bias. They are a $ucking joke. I like Harley's for what they are. The vast majority of the people who ride them are clowns. Now days my favorite comment when I am out and about and run across MR biker is " Really you own a Harley those are nice bikes kind of small but nice"

After riding a 2010 fatboy for the last five years (still have it) and racking up 85,000 miles on it. My take on the Harley crowd and image is rather bias. They are a $ucking joke. I like Harley's for what they are. The vast majority of the people who ride them are clowns. Now days my favorite comment when I am out and about and run across MR biker is " Really you own a Harley those are nice bikes kind of small but nice"
I have friends at the local Harley shop its funny that the Harley owners think they are all that they are different and I know guys that went from sport bikes to HD and they turn into Big mouth Bad guys they act like they are gang members and they even dress the part with the 1% er costumes they grow beards and wear only head bands and $10 novelty helmets covered with YOU SUCK and **** YOU etc. etc. stickers oh and then they get the tattoos all over along with piercings, earrings,and muscle shirts and then they talk tough and drink heavily riding from bar to bar while drunk of course THEN they want to do burnouts when they leave the bar after hours of drinking and pukeing and craping themselves I LOVE HARLEY GUYS LOL

Back