I imagine loading the top case to capacity with ball bearings would overload rack, and at a minimum take away some the stability of the bike.

While Samuel Clemens was famous for saying, "The problem with common sense is that it isn't common", I would guess most of us with top boxes find them the most practical piece of luggage for carriage, access, extra brake lights, less easily bumped, etc. And likewise, I pack my Dr. Pepper low in the panniers and reserve the top box for lighter things such as the potato chips.

The weight limit put on the rack is to cover Triumph's butt. As Paul said would not fill it with ball bearings but I don't worry about using my tour pack

I try to keep my ball bearing hauling to a minimum. I was just thinking that a good sized case was close to the load limit, like that Givi E55 is around 11lbs by itself. I wouldn't be carrying anything heavy anyways, so I guess its a moot point really, was just curious if anyone had any issues with the weight on the rack. And any smart company will always embrace a disclaimer so hence the sticker warning.
That being said, that Shad 50 might look decent enough on the bike.

0606151725a.jpg

The last day of my R3 ownership. Matuzu trunk with built in backrest. Never leaked.

Back