R3Cruiser

Standard Bore
I feel the Metzeler’s fitted to my R3 as STD are a harder touring compound rather than the performance tire I would rather have on my bike.

Can anyone recommend tires with better grip & braking characteristics for the R3? -->240/50 R16 rear; 150/80 R17 front

Hi Flip, I just took delivery of my 2006 Triumph Rocket III, did 500 Km on it and spent the weekend on it at an Advanced Rider’s Course run at Honda Advanced Riding Training school on their private circuit. It rained all day and as part of the training I spent was a 2 hours straight doing nothing else but practicing emergency stops - 1st in a straight line and then in a blind corner - both from a start speed of 60Km/hr. With the intensive riding all day and the ermergency stops it didn't take long for the tires long to heat up and wear for their best stick & stoping performance. My view after this experience with my R3 is I would like (amongst other things) to have softer stickier performance tires which are available for most other bikes. Yes, they will wear faster but I'm prepared to pay that price if there are tires out there that will do a better job sticking to the road. Cheers, R3Cruiser :)

Good luck on the tires. Like I said, I believe that the rear is a very hard size to find in another brand other than Metzler. Sort of like Hummer tires. The Hummer has an odd size too.

You really want to take a driving course that will scare the crap out of you, try the Eaton Corporation's Decision Driving Course. I took it in an 18 wheeler on a wet skid pad doing panic stops jackknifing (and driving out of a jackknife), jerk steering and complete spin outs (with a tractor trailer). All the time the ABS is remotely controlled by the instructor (who, by the way, isn't in the cab with you, just a 2 way radio). Nothing better than doing threshold braking at 35 mph on a wet skid pad and halfway through the stop, the ABS is turned off.

Learned a lot, scared myself sh*tless more than once.:D

There are only really two options for the rear right now.. the stock Metzler or a car tire. We are all hoping that as the number of Rockets grow that someone else will make an alternative tire.

You really can wear the Metzler out fast if your not careful or you ride with a passenger often, and in my opinion... that stock rear tire is more of a hard touring compond. If it was really soft and sticky you could be putting on a tire every 2000 miles or so.

It's weird though... I've ridden in downpours and that Metzler does a very good job of keeping traction in the rain, at least at highway speeds. I'm sure panic stops might be scary, but what tire would really do all that good in the rain?

Hmmmm... Metzler tire mileage.... That migh be a good poll subject....

If you could buy a tire from someone else... what brand of tire would you like to see?? I've always liked Avons...

I've had Michelin tires before and they were great at stopping in the wet so I would like to try them on an R3 if they will make the size. My owners manual has Metzeler ME880 Marathon and Bridgestone 150/80 R17 and 240/50 R16 as approved tires for my R3. Do you know anything about these Bridgestone tires?

Toystoretom said:
There are only really two options for the rear right now.. the stock Metzler or a car tire.

Tom:
That sounds like something they do with a bike with a sidecar on it (How would I know that). I thought you couldn't lean with a car tire as the sidewall isn't designed for leaning and the tread is too square.....right or wrong??

There are many darksiders in the Rocket realm who swear by their improved cornering and tire life.Softer compounds abound for sport tire enthusiats.Untill they put the Rocket in racing will you see softer tires IMHO.

If the tyres were any stickier I would be replacing every 1000 miles , instead of the 3000 miles Im getting , I have put a car tyre in the rear for now to see what mileage I can get out of it , sticks to the road plenty good

Back