Roadster Tire Replacement Advice Please

Because we all can understand bull**** - though we may not recognise it. The tech stuff requires each and every rider to know exact how good they actually are and to comprehend their needs.

And as the tire under discussion Michelin Road 5 rear 150/70R17 according to @Claviger does not have a 'for rear use' only requirement etc, can the tire be fitted either way? And @Claviger is there still a 'fit this way' directional arrow requirement?

Last edited:
And as the tire under discussion Michelin Road 5 rear 150/70R17 according to @Claviger does not have a fit this way requirement, can the tire be fitted either way?
Can it? - Yes. Should it? - ah see now that is when understanding technology comes in. The absence of advice does not (well should not) mean you don't need a brain. It's a bit like the "do not drink the acid in this battery" stickers. Darwin was and is right.

Can it? - Yes. Should it? - ah see now that is when understanding technology comes in. The absence of advice does not (well should not) mean you don't need a brain. It's a bit like the "do not drink the acid in this battery" stickers. Darwin was and is right.
AHA BRAIN!*
THAT IS WHY i AM A REASONABLY LONG LASTING NON BREEDER! BUT I HAVE KNOWN TOO MANY INDULGERS IN TECHNOLOGY AND 'ACID' who would lick those stickers off those batteries if given a chance!. ;):D:eek:

IF NO SIDEWALL DIRECTION ARROW EXISTS WITH OR WITHOUT A 'REAR USE ONLY' LABEL DUE TO A NEW TIRE CONSTRUCTION THE OPTION MAY STILL EXIST.

*That couldn't be fugged resetting CAPS!

That's exactly why. The tread on tires is wound around the carcass in a way so the overlap area is pushed closed when put under load. So on a back tire it's wound one way, on front it's wound the other.

By flipping a rear to put on the front, you're making to so braking forces the seam or overlap area, closed tighter instead of ripping it open.
O.K. Thanks. Might try it, after all if you ride a Rocket you do not follow what everyone els is doing:rolleyes:

Rick

So there is a directional arrow, but, again the force on the front is reversed, and so must the rotation be when used as a front tire. The arrow indicates correct orientation to prevent overlap section tears.

When applied as a front tire the force is now backwards, so if the tire we're in the direction of the arrow, it could/would split the tire open.

So yes, an arrow, but it doesn't matter.

Not saying it's a 100% best practice, however, it's been done for literally 50+ years like this and, in fact, many tires are specifically designated to be a rear or flipped and run on the front.

The manufacturer is only going to designate tire specs up to the target market. So they will never explicitly say a 150/70 can be used in both positions, because, really the Rocket is like the only bike that uses a 150 tire on the front I'm aware or.

In similar fashion, there is no W rated 240/50R16, manufacturers are designing for the application, which is, a bike that tops out at 125mph in stock trim, so a V rating is more than enough.

I'll just remind everyone, for the majority of riders, you'll never get anywhere near the limits of lateral adhesion on the street, and really you shouldn't be.

Slips on the street are almost always the result of contamination on the road and/or improper application of brakes.

At that point, tire make and model is 100% irrelevant.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion! As usual, I have learned quite a bit from the more experienced members of this forum and it has been quite helpful although actually creating even more choices in the form of the Michelin Road 5 rear 150/70R17 :) If I added that I live in Minnesota and routinely ride in weather down to and slightly below 40F (never below freezing though) and frequently get caught out in the rain, would that make the choice of one front tire over the other different?

T If I added that I live in Minnesota and routinely ride in weather down to and slightly below 40F (never below freezing though) and frequently get caught out in the rain, would that make the choice of one front tire over the other different?
I already run a 150/70R17 rear on the front (reversed naturally).

It has come time for replacement - and given Rob's recommendation I will be pleading with my tyre guy to get me a Michelin Road 5.

PRECISELY because I so seldom have to ride in the wet here in Spain that I want all the grip I can get for my trips to my mum in the UK - because there it generally drizzles with monotonous regularity.

I'll stick with the bridgestone rear and the Scorcher 140 up front. Great traction cold,wet or warm. Then again now at 50,000 on a 2015 Rocket X so what do I know.:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: Sill here ain't dumped it yet.:cool::cool::cool::cool: Just keeping it real nothing fancy.

Back