Thruxton R

CanberraR3

Living Legend
Ride
Triumphs, but no Rocket just now.
Finally rode one today. Just a short ride, with a detour at the end to try to get my chubby to subside a little. Man oh man.

Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact I am going to end up buying a third triumph, its so sexy and has the performance to match, hard to turn that down.

Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact I am going to end up buying a third triumph, its so sexy and has the performance to match, hard to turn that down.
YES it is a great looking bike and now with 1200cc its going to run great also BUT they cost more than a ROCKET ?

Last edited:
Yeah, strange isn't it? I mean, I understand with all the fancy yellow bouncy stuff front and back plus the new fangled electronic toys, it adds up.

Only that that'll prevent an eventual purchase would be a revised rocket

In Aus the Thruxton R is around $1750 cheaper than a Rocket and $750 cheaper than a ('16) Storm.
Standard Thruxton almost $2,000 cheaper again.

Finally rode one today. Just a short ride, with a detour at the end to try to get my chubby to subside a little. Man oh man.

Hi Richard
It's a good looking bike that's for sure, how did you find the riding position

RJ

How is the power? does it pull solidly to redline or does it do the normal parallel twin thing, lots of torque about 1/2 way through the RPM band, then falls on it's face?

I have to say, in this case, the R model is the only one I would consider. While Triumph are trying to market the Thrux as a different but not lesser bike, I can't see buying a normal Thruxton. 2k for Ohlines, Rims, New cams, lighter crank shaft, better styling, better brakes, quite a significant step up for the cost.

Hi Richard
It's a good looking bike that's for sure, how did you find the riding position

RJ

As I said it was only a short ride and the performance is really something and is what grabbed me the most. Scintillating, although I didn't get anywhere near the red line. Comfort wise, I can't say I took a whole lot away from the ride except that the riding position is pretty similar to the current Thruxton i.e. absolutely fine for around town but I wouldn't want to take one on a long trip. I want one though.